Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Witholding Deposit, How Do I Fight It?

Options
  • 19-03-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Over a month after moving my previous LL has finally answered my calls as to why I haven't gotten my deposit back.
    He has told me that he has had to professionally clean the carpets, re-paint the walls, replace mattress etc..

There was nothing wrong with any of these things and now he is re-kitting the whole place at my expense.

We are registered with the PRTB, is it even worth my hassle contacting them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

We are registered with the PRTB, is it even worth my hassle contacting them?
    Yes. Also insist on a copy of the receipts.
    He has told me that he has had to professionally clean the carpets, re-paint the walls, replace mattress etc..
    Even if the walls did need to be repainted you are not liable to pay for it as long as it was caused by normal wear and tear. You could be the best tenant in the world and the walls would still need repainting every five years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

was caused by normal wear and tear. .
    I've tried arguing this with him but he has stopped answering me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

go to threshold as well as prtb.

in future withhold last months rent to cover deposit. landlords are lethal for keeping deposits for stupid ungrounded reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

You have to report it to everyone you can. This is very unreasonable by your landlord. He is totally taking the p1ss. Where you present at the final inspection?

RachaelVO wrote: »
    He is totally taking the p1ss. Where you present at the final inspection?
    I wasn't. I couldn't be there but my flatmate was there and there was no problems reported.
    Like I said, it's been over a month since we left and he is finally telling me why we haven't received our deposit.

Will it take ages to sort this through the prtb?
    Will it be costly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

I wasn't. I couldn't be there but my flatmate was there and there was no problems reported.
    Like I said, it's been over a month since we left and he is finally telling me why we haven't received our deposit.

Will it be costly?

It will take a while, but i dont think it will cost you anything.
    You will win, unless he has evidence like photos of the bed, carpet and walls before and after. You should have taken these too.

But, like has been said, if its normal wear and tear you are ok. Things like, paint just going dull or flaking off and mattress and carpets just wearing out is notmal. But if there are stains/cig burns etc on the carpet and mattress you'll have to pay. Likewise if there are marks or holes in the walls that are not normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Check out the dates on the reports at http://public.prtb.ie/tribunal2010.htm, from looking at the first few it seems to be about 6-9 months between the complaint and the decision (longer if your landlord appeals).
    Will it be costly?
    It costs €25 to make a complaint to the PRTB. (If you really really want you can hire a solicitor at your own expense to advise you but you shouldn't need to in a straightforward case like this.)

You are almost certain to win unless your landlord can produce photos of holes in walls or ripped-up carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Will it be costly?

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but NEVER allow the landlord to do an inspection without you being present. That way you can tackle problems head on.

You have to report it, it may take a while (these things usually do), but it's your right to do so, so I would. It shouldn't cost you too much, if anything at all. I hope you have kept some form or record, including times and dates your tried to contact the landlord. Is there any chance you whipped out your phone and took some pics? (I'm guessing not)

Well there was someone present during the inspection and nothing was noted.

I didn't take picture becasue I just didn't think to do any of these things becasue I did not see this coming, the LL was a really nice bloke and we never had trouble for the past three years that I had been living there.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

in future withhold last months rent to cover deposit. landlords are lethal for keeping deposits for stupid ungrounded reasons.

You can't do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

RoverJames wrote: »
    You can't do that

Yeah, just like landlords can't withold deposits when a place has been left in perfect condition...oh wait, they can and they do it all the time.

I used my deposit as my last months rent it in the last two places and I will do it in every single place I rent in the future. You are a fool these days if you blindly trust a landlord to give back a deposit. I know a few people who have been robbed by landlords, and thats what it is - pure stealing - and you only have to do a search on this forum to see how many other people have gotten robbed. You can be sure none of these people in future will make the mistake of expecting to get their deposit back because they left a place in immaculate condition. And if the landlord screws you over, there are no guarantees you will get your money back with the ptrb.

bla bla bla lots of moronic muck

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Yeah, just like landlords can't withold deposits when a place has been left in perfect condition...oh wait, they can and they do it all the time.

It's proven to be a terrible area all right. Part of the program for government is to set up a rental bond agency to deal with the deposits. This is successful in other countries, such as Oz where I rented. Hopefully this will put the issue to bed once and for all for in a fair manner for both parties involved.

Also, if the bond agency puts it place a detailed checklist to be filled in before and after renting, which effectively controls what either side is responsible for, that would help too.

The PRRB has proven itself to be hopeless. The delays nullify it totally. Plus they can be ignored and the case can end in court anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

RoverJames wrote: »
    ok

Happy to set you straight.

robd wrote: »
    The PRRB has proven itself to be hopeless. The delays nullify it totally. Plus they can be ignored and the case can end in court anyway.
    That's not instilling me with confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Sometimes the threat of going to the PTRB can make a landlord see sense. I'd send him a message saying something like "As the return of our deposit is in dispute I just wanted to inform you that I will be submitting a case to the PTRB" Sometimes this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All you do is wait for the PRTB to deal with it. They almost always order the landlord to give back the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

BostonB wrote: »
    All you do is wait for the PRTB to deal with it. They almost always order the landlord to give back the deposit.

Do the landlords comply? Anyone here involved in such a case?

The PRTB site lists all judgments. The majority of them seem to be decisions against the landlord to give back deposits. Or most of the deposit.

Submitted my threat to the LL, shockingly he has agreed to pay me my deposit tomorrow.

Thanks for the input folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭tanyabond

Submitted my threat to the LL, shockingly he has agreed to pay me my deposit tomorrow.

Thanks for the input folks.
    Congrats:) That's shocking alright since he didn't even answer your messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Great result!! Here's hoping he paid you when he said he would. Did he?!

Do you want to post in exactly what you said to him, so that anyone that finds this thread in the future can copy you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I don't know why you all don't take the 'use deposit s last month's rent' maxim to heart?

I have already told my LL that he can inspect his house twice, even 3 times if he wants, but having trusted me for 11 months (and visiting (haunting) my home fortnightly and more to collect post and rent monthly), he can now trust me for the final month.

His other options are: -

A) Begin an eviction process, by which time the month will be up first
    B) Unceremoniously evict me. And then he faces HEAVY penalties from PRTB plus civil damages claims.
    C) Get heavy. Which would result in a stay in hospital for him as I always win every argument when I am morally right :D

Essentially folks, we all must learn to 'limit the downside' in everything we do. A 3rd party deposit holding body is ideal and I look forward to that progressive, egalitarian move. But, until then, obre les ojos and look after you and yours. If you are morally upstanding and a good tenant, then do not ALLOW yourself to be robbed. Because THAT is what happens. YOU allow it. Have less fear, have more confidence in your inalienable rights. The law is merely a safety net.

One thing the PRTB does do it get it back most of the time for the tenants. So theres no longer any reason to be "robbed".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Am just [almost] finished a dispute case myself. Landlord help part of my deposit so I took a case. Determination order hasn't been issued just yet, as they are given their 21 days to appeal, which I doubt they will do. Thrilled. Money robbing baxtards :) THANKS PRTB :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

BostonB wrote: »

And often with damages to be paid to the tenant for with-holding all or part of the deposit UNJUSTIFIABLY.

Or a partial refund if theres some justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Sorry if this has been said as I didn't read all the tread.The deposit is legally never the landlords property.Any maintenance or outstanding bills even if you set the place on fire that have to be paid should be billed to you.Meaning when you leave your deposit should be returned to you and then you should be bill.This have happened a few times to me if he insists on not returning your money send him a solicitors letter and bill him for that too.

edanto wrote: »
    Great result!! Here's hoping he paid you when he said he would. Did he?!

Do you want to post in exactly what you said to him, so that anyone that finds this thread in the future can copy you?
    He did!

I just told him that what he did was illeagal and told himthat if he didn't give me the money I would be pursuing legal avenues.

• Advertisement

damagegt wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been said as I didn't read all the tread.The deposit is legally never the landlords property.Any maintenance or outstanding bills even if you set the place on fire that have to be paid should be billed to you.Meaning when you leave your deposit should be returned to you and then you should be bill.This have happened a few times to me if he insists on not returning your money send him a solicitors letter and bill him for that too.

What will the solicitors do, if your advice is to bypass the PRTB?

Whats the point of returning a deposit with bills outstanding?

Advertisement