Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holes in shoes

Options
  • 19-03-2011 2:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought vans runners from Schuh, canvasy type ones, and within a month they both had holes where your big toe is. I brought them back with a receipt and they said they see this all the time and so won't be refunding them, it 'just happens'. Is it just me or should there not be some sort of quality standard that they should adhere to, do they not have to do anything? A month is a bit of a joke for something that cost so much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say they are not fit for purpose.
    You have a reasonable expectation that a pair of shoes under normal wear should last more than a month before wearing out.
    Now if you have used them to skate in non-stop then they might have a legitimate counter claim that they have just worn out from heavy/hard usage.

Go back and state your rights and ask them for a refund repair or replacement.

Consumers association website says:

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:
    • of merchantable quality
    • fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    • as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.
    • If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as 'No Refunds' or 'No Exchanges'. Such notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act see Retailers' responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

If "they see it all the time" it's clear that they are faulty!! Bring them back, demand to see the manager and kick up a stink. If you still get nowhere complain to head office.

I would not let that go!!! one month and falling apart....not a chance in hell!!!

Cheek of them.:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Suppose I can try again, they said that if they get wet at all this happens. So I can't go outside in rain? I just walked in them is all,t hey weren't even the only pair of shoes etc I have been using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

No way!!! are they joking? you can't go out in the rain with them then:confused: and was that the Manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Tell them you have been in contact with the national consumer agency and you have been advised that if you don't get satisfaction from the retailer then you will take them to the small claims court as the product clearly isn't fit for purpose yet Schuh willingly took your money and refuse to reimburse you for the faulty goods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tan11ie wrote: »
    No way!!! are they joking? you can't go out in the rain with them then:confused: and was that the Manager?
    Well it was the 20 year old in charge of the other 20 year olds if that is the manager. I tried another time and they tried to say well it's the toes fault, must have been a too small size etc, when it isn't. Was a different person then too.
    Tell them you have been in contact with the national consumer agency and you have been advised that if you don't get satisfaction from the retailer then you will take them to the small claims court as the product clearly isn't fit for purpose yet Schuh willingly took your money and refuse to reimburse you for the faulty goods.

will give it a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Serious gray area imo.

There is no stated " durable length of time" for shoes.

How much do you walk?
    What surface do you walk?
    Do you run?
    What way do you walk?

The gray area on the "expected durable length" is a massive gray area that they will take you to the cleaners with.

Dont think youve got much comeback mate sorry to say, Converse are a notorious poor quality and durability due to the materials, that get tattered when wet.

I'd say give it a shot but if it ever got as far as the courts, I doubt youd be seeing anything come out of it.

Best you can hope for it the store manager to bottle it when he gets the letter.

I've experience that part of the consumer goods act and it literally sides with the retailer, cause there is NO expected durable length, for anything really, because with most products there is 101 different questions to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

TheDoc wrote: »
    Serious gray area imo.

How much do you walk?
    Do you run?
    What way do you walk?

The gray area on the "expected durable length" is a massive gray area that they will take you to the cleaners with.

Dont think youve got much comeback mate sorry to say, Converse are a notorious poor quality and durability due to the materials, that get tattered when wet.

I'd say give it a shot but if it ever got as far as the courts, I doubt youd be seeing anything come out of it.

Best you can hope for it the store manager to bottle it when he gets the letter.

I've experience that part of the consumer goods act and it literally sides with the retailer, cause there is NO expected durable length, for anything really, because with most products there is 101 different questions to be asked.

A month is a ridiculously short amount of time to expect a pair of shoes to last, particularly if they are a reputable brand name.

No part of the consumer goods act sides with the retailer - except "change of mind does not entitle you to a refund" :D The whole purpose of it is to protect and inform the consumer.

Regardless of whether the store argues that a month was a "durable length of time" as footwear they are "not fit for purpose" if they last only a month.

Also the problem is with the upper canvas, the sole of the shoe will be the true test of how "worn" the shoe is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Suppose I can try again, they said that if they get wet at all this happens. So I can't go outside in rain? I just walked in them is all,t hey weren't even the only pair of shoes etc I have been using.
    this just proves that they are not reasonably durable unless you were specifically told when buying then not to allow any water or moisture near them
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Serious gray area imo.

How much do you walk?
    Do you run?
    What way do you walk?

One would reasonably expect the body of most shoes to last as long as the external sole, the exception being shoes with leather soles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A ehre now I'm not siding with anyone, I'm just saying how that could and probably would be interpreted.

Going off the quote from above of someone who quoted the actual act itself, very vague and sketchy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If its something like this:

vansi288663_158934_jb.jpg

They don't look too sturdy but I have friends that have had pairs for months without problems.

I would write to the shop giving them 10 days to refund / replace or else you will continue to the small claims court.... OP the scc costs €15, how much are the shoes?

(PS, I was a 20 year old manager....go easy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A month is in no way an acceptable timeframe for shoes to wear out (unless you were doing something drastic with them).

Back to the shop, get the manager and explain that a month is in no way acceptable and you want a refund/replacement/repair. Give them 10 days to sort it out (have a copy of the letter in writing) or otherwise you're going to the SCC.

You might get a different manager the second time who could be more sensible and accomodating.

dudara wrote: »
    A month is in no way an acceptable timeframe for shoes to wear out (unless you were doing something drastic with them).

Back to the shop, get the manager and explain that a month is in no way acceptable and you want a refund/replacement/repair. Give them 10 days to sort it out (have a copy of the letter in writing) or otherwise you're going to the SCC.

You might get a different manager the second time who could be more sensible and accomodating.
    I'd say most people use their shoes more than me, I have so many pairs and don't bother wearing them inside ever. All it was was they got rained on, and torn by me walking in them for an hour or two. Might try a written letter thanks.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If its something like this:

vansi288663_158934_jb.jpg

They don't look too sturdy but I have friends that have had pairs for months without problems.

I would write to the shop giving them 10 days to refund / replace or else you will continue to the small claims court.... OP the scc costs €15, how much are the shoes?

(PS, I was a 20 year old manager....go easy!)

Yep like those, here:

vans-mens-vans-trainers-classic-slip-on-checkerboard-grey-black-24995.jpg

The rest look like new, just the two holes are annoying. They were 50e.
    Ah just a bit harsh indeed, she just wouldn't say anything if I did, just looking at me blankly saying 'it happens all the time'. Then why do you sell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I suggest contacting the head office support line at http://ie.schuh.co.uk/contact-us/ They've 2 numbers you can get them on in Ireland.

This is their returns policy according to their website:
    "We hope you L-O-V-E your new shoes! However, if it turns out that they’re not suitable for whatever reason, take advantage of our amazing returns policy;
    - 365 days –yep, a whole year! - to return unused, unsuitable items
    - Return your shoes to a store or post them to us – whatever is more convenient for you!
    - Friendly service if you’ve had a problem with your shoes
    For our full policy and more information on how and where to return your shoes, the proof of purchase needed and for full Terms & Conditions, check out our returns policy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I suggest contacting the head office support line at http://ie.schuh.co.uk/contact-us/ They've 2 numbers you can get them on in Ireland.

This is their returns policy according to their website:
    "We hope you L-O-V-E your new shoes! However, if it turns out that they’re not suitable for whatever reason, take advantage of our amazing returns policy;
    - 365 days –yep, a whole year! - to return unused, unsuitable items
    - Return your shoes to a store or post them to us – whatever is more convenient for you!
    - Friendly service if you’ve had a problem with your shoes
    For our full policy and more information on how and where to return your shoes, the proof of purchase needed and for full Terms & Conditions, check out our returns policy."
    This policy of their's is for unused shoes not used shoes which don't last more than a month.

Also bear in mond that the shop the op bought in is most likely only a franchise and not a true Schuh store.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've dealt with Schuh online via their Twitter account, and they've always been superbly helpful in pointing me in the right direction. In general, I've found them to have excellent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I bought my boyf the exact same pair in Jan 09 and they are still going strong, no holes, even though they are worn very often. Yours are clearly faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

Hi, not hijacking this thread. Move if needed.

Bought a pair of shoes from river island on the 23rd of last month,
    not worn much but the fabric on the bottom of the right shoe has come up
    and made it very uncomfortable to walk in. Could get an insole liner, but should I have to?
    Went back with the reciept and shoes today, said it had to be within the 28days for a refund or store credit.

Do I have any rights here? I just accepted it in the shop, and after reading this on here it looks as tho i shouldnt have.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hi, not hijacking this thread. Move if needed.

Bought a pair of shoes from river island on the 23rd of last month,
    not worn much but the fabric on the bottom of the right shoe has come up
    and made it very uncomfortable to walk in. Could get an insole liner, but should I have to?
    Went back with the reciept and shoes today, said it had to be within the 28days for a refund or store credit.

Do I have any rights here? I just accepted it in the shop, and after reading this on here it looks as tho i shouldnt have.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

seems the quality of footwear these days leaves a lot to be desired. my friend bought shoes in river island approx 1mth ago. i think he has worn them but a handful of times - and not in any significant shoe destroying situations. the stitching of his is coming away. it is redic!. you cannot get goods to last at all these days. is as if the manufacturers do not care and churn out any sort of shoddy product knowing full well that the shop is the people you have to go back to with your complaint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm very surprised- Schuh are known for great customer service and their very long goodwill refund policy- 1 year. Office don't do goodwill refunds at all- not that they have to, but you'd think they would if their main competitiors have such a generous one. Anyway, I would try a different branch of Schuh first before you go any further with letters etc. Might just be a branch with a really stingy store manager and that policy filters down. Definitely worth a shot, you don't have to get a refund in the store in which they were bought. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement