Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have 2 Broadband lines in my house, Eircom and Digiweb. Is it possible...

• 19-03-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

We have a 3mb Eircom line in until the contract runs out later on in the year
    We also have an 8mb Digiweb metro line in via modem / router setup.

The eircom line comes in to an old (but decent) Belkin router.
    The Digiweb line comes in to the Modem the guy setup which then goes to the newer better Belkin router we have and that is the one my PC is currently connected to.

I want to know, is it possible to connect my PC to both different ISP lines at the same time for something like downloading a large file on the Eircom line, while general usage on the Digiweb line (gaming etc since its better).

Digiweb have silly limits on their service and Eircom we have none.

So I want to download something large on the Eircom line while not interrupting my performance on the Digiweb line... ALL on the one single computer I'm on.

They are both connected via network cable. I dont have a wireless card in this computer.

Is it possible and how so?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Possible but would require a fancier then normal router to do it and honestly you're probably better off simply getting a second laptop/NAS or similar to do your download on Eircom line as a stand alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Would it be possible swithcing user logons and doing it like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. You need a separate computer or special router with two WAN ethernet ports.

Digiweb's 60 GByte limit is twice as big as some companies "unlimited" and x4 some other ISPs.

Eircom NGB users have to pay extra to go from 30Gbyte to 250GByte.

Metro is Wireless, it has to have the limits it has so that it doesn't slow and be useless to everyone. The majority of people use less than 30Gbyte traffic (the 60Gbyte limit in fact would be much lower if everyone was trying to use up the "full" amount).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Damn,

Honestly thought it'd be possible this day and age :/ (obviously not as simple as plugging to routers into your PC, but yeh)

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's absolutely possible. You can even set it up for "free" on an old PC (minimum PIII 450MHz) running Linux with 3x Network cards.

But it's not simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

you can use both together BUT the cost of a decent manufactured "multi WAN load balancing router" is very high

and its not possible to do it on a client based windows OS without one.

you can do it on a windows server 2003/2008 based OS however. It is also possible to build a linux box capable of doing it

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/483400

Advertisement