Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows

Options
  • 19-03-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi,

We are replacing our windows and we got three quotes one from Maynooth windows, regency window & Confey windows and I was wondering had anyone had a good or bad experience with any of the above?

Thanks,
    Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Hi Sean
    Don't have any feedback on any of the three you mentioned but would suggest you give Eden Aluminium a call for a quote. My mam got her windows replaced with them and is absolutely thrilled with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We used Maynooth Windows last year for some repairs to our windows. They were in and out on the day they said they would be there and they did a standup job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PrettyPolly087

I built a new house two yrs ago and used Maynooth Windows.I also asked around and Maynooth windows came out on top.I found them very helpful,good choice/variety and the work men were in and out-no messing.They seem to have an excellent reputation in the North Kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

We are looking at getting a new front door and have got a good quote from Maynooth windows. The only reservation I have at the moment is that they offer just a 1 year warranty on the handles and locking mechanism. This seems very short. Is it normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

My folks recently got new doors and windows from a different company and they got the same for the handles and locks of the front and back door(1 year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    My folks recently got new doors and windows from a different company and they got the same for the handles and locks of the front and back door(1 year).

Maybe it's standard so. We're just in the process of getting quotes from a few places at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It must be because their used so often. Cause when my dad asked about the window handles the guy told him they had the same guarantee as the windows(10 or 15 years if i remember correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

lucyfur09 wrote: »

Was told by a locksmith recently that most factory fitted locks are pretty rubbish anyways, called a euro lock and very easy to find out how to open them on youtube.

Multi point locking systems etc are great, but the locking barrels that control them are in the most, brutal.
    Made a good point that the thing that's protecting your house worth many thousand quids is only worth a fiver, and you should look at upgrading them. Lock should be flush on door apparently.

And before you ask, no, I haven't bothered to upgrade my locks, sure it'll never happen to me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

A friend of mine got all her windows from Global Windows (I think they're called Global Home Improvements now). They were very expensive but the work was very good quality and she got a 15yr guarantee with them and she got triple glazed as there was feck all difference between that and the double option. She's getting a door by them as well soon.

I wouldn't be able to afford them but I'd say they're worth a quote anyway.

Don't know anything re the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kildarelilly

My mam got her windows done last year with Pendico Windows & Doors - think they're based in Clane. Excellent job - she can't believe reduction in her heating bills. Not sure about their guarantee but might be worth a phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 siranon

im very close to someone who worked for these guys stay well clear most other reputable companies have exact same if not better product, why would you need a 15 year garuntee if the job is done right in the first place, its not like your window and door breaks down all the time! approx 25-35% more expensive than all other companies extreme sales tactics. They try and sell the gaurantee as the main baby and you pay massive money. Again if the units are fitted properly you shouldnt need the gaurantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

siranon wrote: »
    im very close to someone who worked for these guys stay well clear most other reputable companies have exact same if not better product, why would you need a 15 year garuntee if the job is done right in the first place, its not like your window and door breaks down all the time! approx 25-35% more expensive than all other companies extreme sales tactics. They try and sell the gaurantee as the main baby and you pay massive money. Again if the units are fitted properly you shouldnt need the gaurantee.

If your windows and doors are never going to break then every installation company should be able to give a 15 year guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 siranon

It’s not standard practice in the industry to guarantee windows this is just an extra forced on you by global. I can guarantee that if you asked for their windows without the guarantee you would not get them and if you did there would not be no discount at all, hence they are just overpriced good quality windows which can be bought a hell of a lot cheaper elsewhere but without the guarantee. Good quality windows if installed properly will outlast the 15 year guarantee anyway its only after 20-25 years they will start giving trouble and thats when global will more than likely be knocking on your door selling you new ones again. Great business plan in fairness but jes people are very gulable when it comes to windows

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

2011 thread needs to remain in 2011..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement