Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treaty of Mellifont (March 1603)

Options
  • 19-03-2011 3:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where one could find a copy of the terms of the Treaty of Mellifont?

A google has this, and of course there are many comments about its supposedly "favourable" terms. But I'm actually looking for a copy of the Treaty itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Does anybody know where one could find a copy of the terms of the Treaty of Mellifont?

But I'm actually looking for a copy of the Treaty itself.

An actual copy of it, or just the terms?

The terms are recorded as follows in A popular history of Ireland... by By Thomas D'Arcy McGee:
    The honourable terms on which this memorable religious war was concluded were these: O'Neil abjured all foreign allegiance, especially that of the King of Spain; renounced the title of O'Neil; agreed to give up his correspondence with the Spaniards, and to recall his son, Henry, who was a page at the Spanish Court, and to live in peace with the sons of John the Proud. Mountjoy granted him an amnesty for himself and his allies; agreed that he should be restored to his estates as he had held them before the war, and that the Catholics should have the free exercise of their religion.
    O'Neill was unaware of the Queens death when he signed the treaty
    Elizabeth's serious illness, concealed from O'Neil, though well known to Mountjoy, hastened the negotiations. On the 27th of March he had intelligence of her decease at London on the 24th, but carefully concealed it till the 5th of April following. On the 31st of March, he received Tyrone's submission at Moore's residence, the ancient Cistercian Abbey, and not until a week later did O'Neil learn that he had made his peace with a dead sovereign.

EDIT: The book referenced is a free Kindle download from amazon by the way, to anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ozymandiaz

Hi jonniebegood,

What is a Kindle download and how does one carry it out. I went and looked at the book on Amaxon but couldn't see how I might download the book for free.

Thanks in advance,

Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Ozymandiaz wrote: »
    Hi jonniebegood,

What is a Kindle download and how does one carry it out. I went and looked at the book on Amaxon but couldn't see how I might download the book for free.

Thanks in advance,

Oz.

Oz

Kindle is a digital book format. It is designed to be read on a computer or on a separate hand held device. To read a book such as I refer above do as follows:

1. Download the kindle software from http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311 You need windows xp or vista or 7 as your operating system.

2. the book refered is here http://www.amazon.com/Popular-History-Ireland-Emancipation-ebook/dp/B000JQUP96/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300653126&sr=8-2 You need to be registered with Amazon to 'buy' it even though its free.

There are some good books availiable for free, mostly quite old or classic books.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ozymandiaz

Jonniebegood,

That was much appreciated and worked a treat. I am already a registered user on Amazon.

Oz

Advertisement