Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 75grain Hornady Superformance??

Options
  • 19-03-2011 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

Anyone able to source me some?

I want to use them in this shoot on the 27th

Hornady 75grain match would do in a push.

Not looking for hundreds, just 2-3 boxes.

Or anyone experienced with other match grade .223 ammo of similar characteristics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Anyone able to source me some?

I want to use them in this shoot on the 29th

Hornady 75grain match would do in a push.

Not looking for hundreds, just 2-3 boxes.

Or anyone experienced with other match grade .223 ammo of similar characteristics

Don't you mean the 27th? :p

You are obsessed with these superformance :D
    I think you will just have to wait 2 months until they come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dev110 wrote: »
    Don't you mean the 27th? :p

You are obsessed with these superformance :D
    I think you will just have to wait 2 months until they come in.

Well they have a very shallow drop curve so they would be useful on bunnies out past 300
    (or that is teh plan anyway)

I just want to try them out.

The .308 Superformance are super accurate rounds for Hunting ammo

Well they have a very shallow drop curve so they would be useful on bunnies out past 300
    (or that is teh plan anyway)

I just want to try them out.

The .308 Superformance are super accurate rounds for Hunting ammo

They will be a great round and so will the 53gr V-max superformance.
    Have you got time to try the Hornady 75gr yet?

They will be a great round and so will the 53gr V-max superformance.
    Have you got time to try the Hornady 75gr yet?

i only have 1 box and don't want to waste them.

I need 14 rounds for this shoot + Zeroing+ Practicing.
    If I had one more box I'd use them

I really want to see what affect the wind may have on them in comparison the the 50-55 grain stuff i usually use

i only have 1 box and don't want to waste them.

I need 14 rounds for this shoot + Zeroing+ Practicing.
    If I had one more box I'd use them

I really want to see what affect the wind may have on them in comparison the the 50-55 grain stuff i usually use

Have you tried the ordinary 75gr stuff?
    There is not much point in trying anything with only one box as you need a full box to really try them out from grouping at different ranges, wind drift, etc.

Sure you would only have 4 rounds to zero and group so not much point in using them.

I'm going to get some ordinary hornady 75gr and see how it goes and if good results I will use it on the 27th if not I will be using 55gr V-max.

• Advertisement

Have you tried the ordinary 75gr stuff?
    There is not much point in trying anything with only one box as you need a full box to really try them out from grouping at different ranges, wind drift, etc.

Sure you would only have 4 rounds to zero and group so not much point in using them.

I'm going to get some ordinary hornady 75gr and see how it goes and if good results I will use it on the 27th if not I will be using 55gr V-max.

I'm low on ammo anyway. So I need some.
    If my rifle likes them I plan on buying in bulk.

I might try Scruffy Duffy for a box or two of the standard BTHP stuff

I'm low on ammo anyway. So I need some.
    If my rifle likes them I plan on buying in bulk.

I might try Scruffy Duffy for a box or two of the standard BTHP stuff

Do you know how much McBride is for the 75gr? I might take a trip later if he reasonable

Do you know how much McBride is for the 75gr? I might take a trip later if he reasonable

never asked, he had no Supers and he never mentioned match.

I might give him a bell over the weekend.

They have a fair drop though, so hunting without a rangefinder is not an option.

Just after noticing these bad boys!

223 Rem 35 gr NTX® Superformance
    Ballistics

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
    4000/1243 3354/874 2795/607 2299/411 1858/268 1479/170

Trajectory (inches)
    -1.50 0.80 0.00 -5.30 -17.30 -39.60

Might not work in 1/8 though

never asked, he had no Supers and he never mentioned match.

I might give him a bell over the weekend.

They have a fair drop though, so hunting without a rangefinder is not an option.

Just after noticing these bad boys!

223 Rem 35 gr NTX® Superformance
    Ballistics

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    4000/1243 3354/874 2795/607 2299/411 1858/268 1479/170

Trajectory (inches)
    -1.50 0.80 0.00 -5.30 -17.30 -39.60

Might not work in 1/8 though

They seem a serious round but I say the 1/8 would probably have them in bits by the time they leave the barrel.
    Would be a great round for a 1/12 I would say.

I might just take a drive in to McBride later and see what he has.

They seem a serious round but I say the 1/8 would probably have them in bits by the time they leave the barrel.
    Would be a great round for a 1/12 I would say.

I might just take a drive in to McBride later and see what he has.

Does he open on a Saturday evening these days?

He had stopped opening on a Sunday evening a while back.

• Advertisement

Does he open on a Saturday evening these days?

He had stopped opening on a Sunday evening a while back.

I haven't been into him since around Christmas but he is usually open around 7-9 or 7.30-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Do any of the dealers buy in hps in 223 like they do with the 308 it would work out cheap for match grade 223 rounds. Think the 308 155gr is 52 quid for 50 rounds and it seems to be very accurate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Do any of the dealers buy in hps in 223 ........

Was just going to suggest that.

Jim Griffin has 75 gr HPS in .223 with Nosler BalTip, for €99 per 100. If they are even close to as good as the .308 target stuff it could be a better, and slightly cheaper way to go than waiting on Hornady all the time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »

Jim Griffin has 75 gr HPS in .223 with Nosler BalTip, for €99 per 100. If they are even close to as good as the .308 target stuff it could be a better, and slightly cheaper way to go than waiting on Hornady all the time.

I'll give Jim a Buzz.
    75 Grain balTips would be Fun!

Are they a target or a hunting round? If ballistic tip they must be?

Ballistic tipped can be either hollow point with a Polycarbonite type to help expansion, or Soft core with a Tip to rapid expansion like varmints.

I'm guessing the latter, Will be fun finding out!!

Ballistic tipped can be either hollow point with a Polycarbonite type to help expansion, or Soft core with a Tip to rapid expansion like varmints.

I'm guessing the latter, Will be fun finding out!!

So they are like the V-max?

So they are like the V-max?

Should be.

wich are as you know, Awesome :D

Should be.

wich are as you know, Awesome :D

Have to say I am tempted now :D

Hunting rounds. There is just not the market for Target ammo for .223 here yet. I imagine they would be something like these. I cannot be sure as i have not bought them myself.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Does he do the 69gr do you know Im not sure how well the 1/9 twist i have would handle the 75gr. (Sorry Tac not intending on hijacking your thread)

Does he do the 69gr do you know Im not sure how well the 1/9 twist i have would handle the 75gr. (Sorry Tac not intending on hijacking your thread)

No bothers man. I'd like to shoot a few 69 grain'ers too!

I do not think he had 69gr rounds. I could be wrong, but there was a shortage of .223 ammo so he got what was available.

I would say the 75gr will work well in a 1:9 twist. The few 75gr rounds i put through my rifle worked the finest. A 1:8 twist will obviously work as well if not better, but the 1:8 twist is more suited to the 90gr VLD target rounds.

No harm to try a few. Easier said than done when you're paying for them , but you get the idea.;)

I do not think he had 69gr rounds. I could be wrong, but there was a shortage of .223 ammo so he got what was available.

I would say the 75gr will work well in a 1:9 twist. The few 75gr rounds i put through my rifle worked the finest. A 1:8 twist will obviously work as well if not better, but the 1:8 twist is more suited to the 90gr VLD target rounds.

No harm to try a few. Easier said than done when you're paying for them , but you get the idea.;)

Just in case anyone is not aware, the 90grain VLD's won't work if you also wish to use Hunting ammo in the same rifle..

I had the option of going 90grain VLD but I would not be able to use 55grain etc afterwards.

Basically because a 90grain VLD is so long it has to have a longer lead into the rifling.

I have to say, even the 50 grain :eek: Federal were sub 1/2" :@100 yards

I'm hoping the 75grain stuff will be the best out past 300 yards with less effects from wind

Thanks Ezri ya true bout paying for them alright, must get some of the 308 hps of jim aswell. Cant wait to have important parts of wedding paid for so it ll free up my shooting budget again:D

Thanks Ezri ya true bout paying for them alright, must get some of the 308 hps of jim aswell. Cant wait to have important parts of wedding paid for so it ll free up my shooting budget again:D

I hope we all get an Invite!

A) Church, fancy hotel, 4 course dinner, drinks, band, DJ = No rifle or bullets. :(

B) Quickie wedding, 100 snack boxes at Supermacs, and a party mix CD = Shiney new rifle and LOADS OF BULLETS. :D

**WARNING** - Option B will immediately (if not sooner) lead to argument, falling out, divorce. Consolation - You still have shiney new rifle and loads of bullets. :cool:

Oh man B looks good.......and i have been chatting to Fergal about a new project:D on the flip side i would like to be shooting my own rifle on the wedding night :p

If anyone sees 75grain SuperFormance let me know please.
    North or south of the border!!
    Preferably south, but North will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Minky 123

Its really only a sales gimmick at the end of the day ;). I get 1/2 inch groups with umc hp bullets all day out of my cz and plenty of fox.

Advertisement