Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that shocked you or changed you forever.

Options
  • 19-03-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Below is a screen capture from a movie called 'Innocent Voices'. It is based on a true story of the film's screenwriter (Oscar Orlando Torres). The scene depicted in the picture is something that happened many times during the El Salvador civil war, and no doubt in other wars.

It's one of the few films that left me feeling extremely angry at just how heartless people can be. I've friends who were brought to tears by it.

I won't embed the image so as not to spoil the movie for those who wish to see it. Be warned though, this movie is extremely disturbing...as is the picture.

(Warning: Disturbing)
    http://omg.wthax.org/Innocent_Voices.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Not really a movie or 'life-changing' at that, but what popped into my head first was the miniseries The Pacific. Three scenes jarred me on first viewing--
    the woman in the house with the gun, the head and stones, and the woman and her baby.
    If you've seen it you probably know the scenes I'm referring to despite the vague wording. Absolutely heartbreaking, visceral and upsetting stuff.

I'm strange, I can watch horrible, scary, disturbing or gorey movies all day long and not flinch at even the most disturbing and grotesque of scenes. Maybe even laugh. But the second I know it's something that's true, and something that's actually happened, and that real people were involved in it.. that's when it shocks me and makes my empathy or horror truly kick in.

There's others but I'm having an oddly hard time coming up with anything off the top of my head. Will probably return to this thread at one stage or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i was young when i saw it so it made a huge impression on me but this little tv gem scared the life out of me as i realised it was true life or could happen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085404/

i watched it again recently and it still has that shocking effect on me.its pretty bloody appropriate considering whats going on in japan at the moment as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Salò is one disturbing film,it didnt change me but i was shocked a bit i must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mega shark changed my life forever , im always wary now of a shark coming at me when im on a plane :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Every time I fly on a plane now , I have to check under the seats for snakes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Seen a "Faces Of Death" movie for about 2 minutes when I was 14 maybe 16, how anybody could even justify having it is beyond me.

:eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Mississippi Burning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

Dear Zachary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

The Road really gets to me, I read the book so had to go and watch the film, its just so dark, shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I don't know what its called but when I was a kid I watched a few mins of this weird movie that haunted me with nightmares for a few days afterward.... Would love to know what its called.

All I saw was some girl casting some spell or something on her dumb sister and then squishing her on the carpet.... Scared the **** out of me at the time..

Also, A Bronx Tale mesmerised me when I first saw it as a kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Irreversible, its one of those movies that makes you realise how fcuked up the world is, the rape scene is nearly unwatchable, one long, static shot of something horrible that goes on for more than 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

The Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

cannibal holocaust... not the actual film really, i dont really mind gore or the REAL scenes of animal cruelty :( where they killed turtles and monkeys, also it was banned in several countrys....the thing that scared me was how i came to see it.

somone found a usb with about 8 horror films i have never heard of on it. they were all grusome and very obscure titles....im just wondering who owned the usb key?.... the films were fairly fooked up.

I didnt watch any of the others, just not really a fan of horror films, perfer a good comedy or war film... but i did google them after seeing the film. very obscure, very weird.

wikipedia of film
    also its a B movie and is actully fairly sh!t with really crap scenes and terrible qacting....

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

The Crying Game when he/she flashes the langer, I fancied her/him,thought I was turning gay

The City of God

Leon

Battle Royale

The Gods Must Be Crazy

4 movies that stayed with me for a long time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Spice World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Saw it at the tender age of 14 - it corrupted me!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

American History X.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I really didn't like American Psycho, weirdly enough. Just left a horrible sense of unease in me.

Another one I find unpleasant to watch is Martyrs.

A film that I thought was great, though I wouldn't say it ever changed me, was Requiem for a Dream. Amazing film.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ottostreet wrote: »
    I really didn't like American Psycho, weirdly enough. Just left a horrible sense of unease in me.

Am I the only person who thinks American Psycho is one of the funniest films ever made? watch it as a pitch black comedy (which it is) and it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Professional aka Léon

Something just not right with the relationship between Natalie Portman and Jean Reno
    She was a 12 year old and talking about wanting a lover and sharing a bed.

It didn't blatantly cross a line but it came damn close

Edit, this was the Directors Cut, 25 minutes longer

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

goodfellas coz its a true story

and

OLd Boy for obvious reason...the father and daughter incest etc

that one in the forest with the horrible mutilation at the end can not remember its name....Danish or Norwegian not sure ...starring willlem dafoe

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

oh

deliverance of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal%C3%B2,_or_the_120_Days_of_Sodom

Most disturbing film ive ever seen. Will NEVER watch it again. Not sure why i watched it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal%C3%B2,_or_the_120_Days_of_Sodom

Most disturbing film ive ever seen. Will NEVER watch it again. Not sure why i watched it once.

I've been putting off watching that movie for those exact reasons. Scenes of coprophilia and extreme torture / ritual sexual humiliation can't be 'unseen' *shudders*. I'll watch it some day, though.

*looks for balls in handbag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Spore wrote: »
    I've been putting off watching that movie for those exact reasons. Scenes of coprophilia and extreme torture / ritual sexual humiliation can't be 'unseen' *shudders*. I'll watch it some day, though.

*looks for balls in handbag

I dont think there is a way to "talk" someone into watching it, i watched when a mate handed me a copy dvd with no text on it, and said "here.. watch this.."

Its worth watching, for the only reason to say, I seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

visitor q or anything by

Takashi Miike

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290329/

if you havent seen visitor q it genuinely is one of the most ****ed up films ive ever seen

SYNOPSIS SPOILER
    A father, who is a failed former television reporter tries to mount a documentary about violence and sex among youths. He proceeds to have sex with his daughter who is now a prostitute and films his son being humiliated and hit by classmates. "Q", a perfect stranger somehow gets involved and enter the bizzare family who's son beats his mom, who in turn is also a prostitute and a heroin addict...

Advertisement