Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that shocked you or changed you forever.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

"Into the Wild" was one that has stayed with me. Didn't know what the film was about before going to the cinema but it definately has had an impact on me.
    Other than that, "The Road" is defiantely one that I will never forget. Left me feeling horrible and uneasy. Not one to see if you are feeling gloomy to begin with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

City of God (2002)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/
    Scary that the novel is supposedly based on a true story

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Seen this when I was younger and I have built up a significant private weapons stash ever since.

largevhszombieflesheatetc9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal%C3%B2,_or_the_120_Days_of_Sodom

Most disturbing film ive ever seen. Will NEVER watch it again. Not sure why i watched it once.

Same here it is one of the most disturbing films ever made,there is people on this thread saying American history X and City of god are bad to watch,id hate to see them watching this.
    Spore wrote: »
    I've been putting off watching that movie for those exact reasons. Scenes of coprophilia and extreme torture / ritual sexual humiliation can't be 'unseen' *shudders*. I'll watch it some day, though.

*looks for balls in handbag

I watched it a few years ago,and there is still parts of it imprinted on my brain,its bad very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Same here it is one of the most disturbing films ever made,there is people on this thread saying American history X and City of god are bad to watch,id hate to see them watching this.

I watched it a few years ago,and there is still parts of it imprinted on my brain,its bad very bad.

It's movies that shocked or changed you, not the most disturbing.

Blue Velvet was another, Hopper was brilliant in that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

K-9 wrote: »
    It's moves that shocked or changed you, not the most disturbing.

It presumabley did shock him!

K-9 wrote: »
    It's movies that shocked or changed you, not the most disturbing.

Believe me it did shock me a bit!

But the only film that ever changed me was "Animal Farm" ,still to this day i cant look at a goat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

city of god is probly one of my favourite films...

(gangs in slums.... just incase its another fooked up film by the same name)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

For me into the wild is a pretty moving film!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

Song for a Raggy Boy.
    Its sick :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal%C3%B2,_or_the_120_Days_of_Sodom

Most disturbing film ive ever seen. Will NEVER watch it again. Not sure why i watched it once.

just watched the trailer.jaysus i dont know if i could handle it to be honest.it looks depraved.apparently there are several different versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Song for a raggy boy, Michael Collins, Wind that shakes the barley, started irreversable b4, got the rape scene and had to turn it off after a minute, couldnt finish it. My girlfriend was out that night and since then I can rarely sleep until she is home. Frightening stuff to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

One man, one jar. Why why why...? Scarred for life after it.

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    One man, one jar. Why why why...? Scarred for life after it.

Thats not a film though,just one crazy man looking for attention!

Disgusting video none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Man bites dog. Very violent and real feeling at times.

Leaving Los Vegas made a big impression on me as did the Killing Fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

ottostreet wrote: »
    I really didn't like American Psycho, weirdly enough. Just left a horrible sense of unease in me.

Do yourself a favour. Don't read the book..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

At the time nightmare on Elm Sreet, Hellraiser and Candy man, obvious ones really. Should have not been allowed watch them I was only young:o

Other ones...
    Parts of Beetle juice, the character beetle juice and the idea of being stuck in limbo .
    The characters in Mad Max and the killing in it.
    After watching signs I was freaked out a little by the aliens and that was only a few years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm saying Saving Private Ryan here. The thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the whole movie, but the way they captured the D-Day landings shocked me and has stayed with me. I cannot begin to comprehend the mayhem and the sheer terror and what seems like luncay of running into heavy machine gun fire. And most of them only boys.... It makes me sad and angry that things like that have happened and the film made me try, unsuccessfully, to imagine what it must have been like to be in one of their shoes. Thought about it for quite a while.

So for that reason, even though it's nowhere near my favourite movie, it did have a lot of influence on me, maybe the most

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Enter The Void. Has to be seen to understand, really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magdalene_Sisters

The Magdalene Sisters

Possibly the film sensationalized it for dramatic effect and the conditions were not so bad, I hope so anyway!

Disturbing film anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

28 days later & 28 weeks later. Both gave me nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Wolf Creek - missed the opening credits and came upon it channel surfing, thought it looked like a flick about backpacking in Oz. Oh holy jebus...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wolf Creek - missed the opening credits and came upon it channel surfing, thought it looked like a flick about backpacking in Oz. Oh holy jebus...

Bet you enjoyed the 'head on a stick trick' then.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

2 Girls, 1 Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

shindlers list was pretty shocking when i saw it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

I don't know why, but this one really wrenched the bejasus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Hotel Rwanda I thought was pretty shocking film, the cruelty of some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magdalene_Sisters

The Magdalene Sisters

Possibly the film sensationalized it for dramatic effect and the conditions were not so bad, I hope so anyway!

Disturbing film anyway

"YOU'RE NOT A MAN OF GOD! YOU'RE NOT A MAN OF GOD!"
    Ah, good aul Crispina!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Primer, this film had an effect on me, the overwhelming unease at the thought of accessible and casual time travel, combined with our little desires, gripes and grudges, makes for a gripping budget film.

www.rottentomatoes.com/m/primer/

Advertisement