Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that shocked you or changed you forever.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Amalgam wrote: »
    Primer, this film had an effect on me, the overwhelming unease at the thought of accessible and casual time travel, combined with our little desires, gripes and grudges, makes for a gripping budget film.

www.rottentomatoes.com/m/primer/

Saw that for the first time as a teen, took me ages to figure out wtf was going on :o

Very, very interesting and thought-provoking film but one you really have to pay attention to the whole way through if you want to make sense of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

krudler wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks American Psycho is one of the funniest films ever made? watch it as a pitch black comedy (which it is) and it works.

I laugh my ass off at it. It's supposed to be funny!
    RichieC wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour. Don't read the book..
    Yeah the film is like an episode of friends compared to the book!

Irreversible was horrific.
    The ending of The Wicker Man freaks the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

http://imdb.com/title/tt0274518/

This film touched me in ways I find it difficult to describe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Truman Show,I check the room and house for cameras every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the little girl with the Blue Plastic bag in the Killing fields.
    there was another movie that I cant think of the name of, it was made probably inthe seventies it was about some 'preacher'fella who always had rocks in his boots, someone tried to capatalise on his popularity by hiring a Menataly disabled man to repeat his sermons for money he chased the guy down and ran over him, then reversed and ran over him again, it was so viceral and out of place in the movie that it stuck with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Martyrs. A crazy French film, watch it and it will mess with your head!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

the sleepers revenge scene was very awesome indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

A film that I thought was great, though I wouldn't say it ever changed me, was Requiem for a Dream. Amazing film.

+1 on Requiem, shows the reality of drug addiction. Another good similar one is Basketball Diaries with DiCaprio and Walberg when they were kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alexdude

Pans Labyrinth, when the nasty Captain beats the young lad to death with a wine bottle in front of the lads Father. Really brutal scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'The Life of Brian', it kinda highlighted how ridiculous the idea of devoting your life to following the idea of a saviour actually is.

also can't believe

'Fight Club' hasn't gotten a mention yet.

Also for anyone who likes City of God I would recommend reading the book, as good as the film is it just couldn't compare to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Charlie_Spleen

A Serbian Film and Requiem for a Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

catbear wrote: »
    Man bites dog. Very violent and real feeling at times.

Leaving Los Vegas made a big impression on me as did the Killing Fields.

Wow started reading this thread backwards. Hit the button for the previous page and was thinking Man Bites Dog and then saw your post.

Actually LLV and Killing Fields all win too!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A Serbian Film

I thought this was awful, and not awful in the way it was meant to be, just hilariously bad, it was just trying to be shocking and instead being funny, how on earth could you be shocked instead of laugh at a scene where
    a man is killed by being stabbed through the eye with another mans erection
    one of the worst films I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

jamesbrond wrote: »
    Dear Zachary

+1

Never before a week after watching a film have I found my mind drifting to it and ending in me really sobbing about it.

Also when I was a kid Channel 4 were showing a series of previously banned films and I with no parental supervision worth talking about watched the lot. This one still stays with me, I went veggie for a while I felt so sick about it all. Luckily I remembered how delicious meat is. :P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082020/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Beavis & Butthead do America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bronte wrote: »
    Irreversible was horrific.
    Pretty nasty scene with the fire extinguisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Not scary or violent but 2001: A Space Odessey really got me thinking, absolutely cracking film, especially considering it was made in 1968

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

I watched Mysterious Skin only recently and it's a pretty tough watch.

The Wicker Man and Planet of The Apes both had conclusions that I never could wipe off my brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

savior with Dennis Quaid really got to me when I watched it, really good flick.
    one flew over the cuckoos nest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

For me, there have been a few that really shocked me.

A Serbian Film.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film

One scene (I will not even mention) shocked me to my core... if you have seen it, you will know what I mean. A Disgusting film

The Human Centipede
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Centipede_(First_Sequence)

Just the thought of that happening to anyone... Uggghhh!

Men behind the sun
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_Behind_The_Sun

The fact that the events in this movie actually happened makes you give up on humanity

Those 3 films really have stuck in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Henry : Portrait Of A Serial Killer. Saw it way too young and it freaked me out big time. Haven't seen it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Happiness - (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/)

The character of Bill Maplewood is very disturbing. He drugs one of his sons friends before raping him. And he rapes another boy left home alone. Pretty tough scene at the end when he's talking to his son who has just found out that his dad is a paedophile.

Actually, the whole film is a little 'odd' & controversial.

Another film worth mentioning is Twelve & Holding (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417385/) which follows the lives of 3 different 12 year olds. One of the storylines involves a 12 year old girl seducing a guy. There's a shocking twist near the end also with one of the twins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭jgr12

agree with quite a few of the films listed so far, one I haven't seen mentioned is Asia Argentos The heart is deceitful above all things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

The ones that I found quite shocking where Wolf Creek and The Killer Inside Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

A Serbian Film.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film

One scene (I will not even mention) shocked me to my core... if you have seen it, you will know what I mean. A Disgusting film

Jaysus, I am shocked to the core just reading about that film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jaysus, I am shocked to the core just reading about that film!

Holy shiite did you read that aswell .

That movie sounds well wacko .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

A link to the 15 most disturbing movies ever made - http://www.popcrunch.com/15-of-the-most-disturbing-films-ever-made/

Some rough stuff in there. I tend to avoid this stuff - I like being able to sleep and not being terrified every day. The only one I watched was A Clockwork Orange (and that was in German, so probably doesn't count, as I don't speak the language).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Schindlers Lift

schindler.jpg

The story follows Mr. Schindler through his harrowing stuggle as he trys to get his lift business of the ground.*

*Pun intended.

Advertisement