Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer work in poorer countries

• 19-03-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Here is the deal. I will have at least 2 weeks off during the summer, and I am thinking of doing some volunteer work in poorer countries.

-Has anyone ever done this? What was the experience like?
    -Can you do it for 1/2 weeks?
    -Who are the best people/company to go with (possibly going on my own, although a friend of mine seems interested also, I feel it is something Id like to do on my own).
    Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm going to move this to the volunteering forum, lots of useful information over there. Check out the stickies, especially, "Why can't I volunteer abroad for free?"

I've answered this quite a few times on boards. To save time I've written blog posts on it here and here.

I generally haven't written much on 1/2 week volunteer stints though as I don't see much value to them (unless you have a skill that can be used/imparted in that time). You'll have no problem finding somewhere that will let you work for that time though, providing you fundraise €5k or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Sorry Dory.
    I dont think I am the only one to say this, but sometimes it is not obvious where to post on things.
    I did not see that post, despite trying to do a search (wouldnt work).
    I am not interested in doing this because it is free.
    Thanks for the info,
    Dellas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

What? I don't mind at all that you posted in the Travel forum. I was just letting you know why I moved it. If I moved it and didn't say why you might be wondering about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 luckyducky007

Dellas,
    I was looking into doing this also, but my dream was to take some months out of work and spend it in a community that could use my help. I came to realise that I could not financially take that time off and that 1 -2 weeks of my annual leave was useless abroad. It would have been for me that I was doing it not for the people / children I would have spent the time with. I have looked into volunteering in Ireland for 1 -2 weeks and there are lots of places that could use the help and id b useful. Barretstown for example, chernobyl children etc. these are charities working with sick children from all over europe.
    Hope this helps in some way.

Advertisement