Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays on social welfare

Options
  • 19-03-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know this has probably been mentioned a lot but i'm having trouble finding it. Anyways I have a holiday booked for this year, I know you are allowed out of the country for 12 payment days (so 2 weeks) and collect your payment when you get back but i'm going for 2 and a half weeks. Are they very strict on this as its only a couple of extra days but it means i miss 3 payments? Or should I put down for 2 weeks and collect the other payment early/late (i'm very wary of this)?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Noo wrote: »
    Hi

I know this has probably been mentioned a lot but i'm having trouble finding it. Anyways I have a holiday booked for this year, I know you are allowed out of the country for 12 payment days (so 2 weeks) and collect your payment when you get back but i'm going for 2 and a half weeks. Are they very strict on this as its only a couple of extra days but it means i miss 3 payments? Or should I put down for 2 weeks and collect the other payment early/late (i'm very wary of this)?

Appreciate any thoughts!

When applying you put down the dates you are going for. You are only entitled to payment for 12 days holidays and days taken over 12 days will not be paid. If you only put down 2 weeks you will be committing fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

How can a person on welfare afford to go on a 2.5 week holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

should I put down for 2 weeks and collect the other payment early/late (i'm very wary of this)?
    You should be wary. You will not be seeking for work during this time but you are planning on claiming benefits. That's fraud.
    Appreciate any thoughts!

I think you should worry less about long holidays and try harder to find a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Sugarfree wrote: »

Who the Hell do you think you are? There have been numerous threads on this. Firstly, a holiday can be free or cost less than 50 euro. For all you know it's from his savings or a friend is paying for it or he'll be staying with family.

So shush in future, hmm?

Who the Hell do you think you are? There have been numerous threads on this. Firstly, a holiday can be free or cost less than 50 euro. For all you know it's from his savings or a friend is paying for it or he'll be staying with family.

So shush in future, hmm?

I'm an Irish citizen worrying about welfare fraud is all. If he has savings then he should not be scrounging off the state. Welfare payments are there for social protection to offer a person a minimum level of living not be to swanning off on holidays.

• Advertisement

I'm an Irish citizen worrying about welfare fraud is all. If he has savings then he should not be scrounging off the state. Welfare payments are there for social protection to offer a person a minimum level of living not be to swanning off on holidays.

Please shut up. You have no idea what you're on about, you really don't.

You're allowed to have savings. If he was committing fraud do you really think he'd be so worried as to ask if he would committ FURTHER fraud? NO, he wouldn't have.

Oh but wait... he's automatically scrounging if he has savings. I have 12 euro of savings; I'm a scrounger, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭erictheviking1

For all you know he/she may have recently lost their job. Once they have enugh PRSI at class A1 paid they are entitled to JSB.

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    You should be wary. You will not be seeking for work during this time but you are planning on claiming benefits. That's fraud.

People on sw payments are allowed take 12 days holidays with payment.

Please shut up. You have no idea what you're on about, you really don't.

You're allowed to have savings. If he was committing fraud do you really think he'd be so worried as to ask if he would committ FURTHER fraud? NO, he wouldn't have.

Oh but wait... he's automatically scrounging if he has savings. I have 12 euro of savings; I'm a scrounger, right?

----Snip

I would not be surprised if he was going to commit fraud. He is already advocating it in his OP. Now going on holidays courtesy of the tax payer is something I wont abide by.

Actually, they're trying to see if they go on the holiday without committing fraud. But good for you! You think we're all scrum on the dole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I would not be surprised if he was going to commit fraud. He is already advocating it in his OP. Now going on holidays courtesy of the tax payer is something I wont abide by.

How do you know it is courtesy of the tax payer? He might well be paying out every cent of his welfare in bills, and the holiday might well have been paid for by someone else.

If you think he is a scrounger and wouldnt want him on the dole, using up "your taxes", do you really think that if this guy and 100,000 other people go off the dole next week, that the current Irish government are going to lower your taxes?

To the OP, you need to go into your social welfare office no later than 2 weeks before departure and fill out a UP30 form. You will lose one weeks payment by going for 2.5 weeks.

Actually, they're trying to see if they go on the holiday without committing fraud. But good for you! You think we're all scrum on the dole!

No I dont think your all scum on the dole. However when a lad on the dole asks about going on a 2.5 week foreign holiday when most people I know with full time good jobs not even contemplating this you begin to wonder.

No I dont think your all scum on the dole. However when a lad on the dole asks about going on a 2.5 week foreign holiday when most people I know with full time good jobs not even contemplating this you begin to wonder.

Here's the fun facts: He has it booked, not in the process of booking it. IT could have been paid of a while ago. He obviously had some sort of a job to be able to pay for it.

So yeah... I wonder who the real bad guy is here, the guy that wants to go on holiday and had it book for this year or the guy who claims he's frauding the state?

Here's the fun facts: He has it booked, not in the process of booking it. IT could have been paid of a while ago. He obviously had some sort of a job to be able to pay for it.

So yeah... I wonder who the real bad guy is here, the guy that wants to go on holiday and had it book for this year or the guy who claims he's frauding the state?

You were giving out to me for making assumptions then you are making them yourself. Yes i'm a bad guy for wondering how a guy on benefits can afford a 2.5 week foreign holiday.

"To the OP, you need to go into your social welfare office no later than 2 weeks before departure and fill out a UP30 form. You will lose one weeks payment by going for 2.5 weeks."

OP will not lose one weeks payment OP will lose however many days over the 12 days he/she will be on holidays for.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Lets keep this civil and helpful !!

You were giving out to me for making assumptions then you are making them yourself. Yes i'm a bad guy for wondering how a guy on benefits can afford a 2.5 week foreign holiday.

Do you have any proof or that your "feelings" that this guy did not book it, pay it off, saved up and then lost his job? If you don't, stop assuming.

mp22 wrote: »
    Lets keep this civil and helpful !!

Aw, fine. :P

Anyway, OP, why not just go down and explain it to them. IF you honestly can't get out of the holiday, you might (hopefully) just lose two day's payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Hi

Appreciate any thoughts!

If you intend going on holidays abroad, you should inform the Local Office two weeks in advance of your departure and complete form UP 30. All holiday payments will be made retrospectively when you return. If you go on holiday for longer than two weeks, you may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but will not receive payment for any period abroad in excess of this.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q22

case closed:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

OP here. Firstly, I've no intention of committing fraud thats why I was asking so I wouldnt get myself in trouble. Secondly, I didnt realise you could go for longer than 2 weeks but only get the 12 days pay (thats what i came here to find out), i think i could handle that. And thirdly, to get rid of the speculation, I am going for a 2.5 week holiday to stay with family, therefore ive no accommodation expenses, and the flights are much cheaper if i go a couple of days earlier than intended thats why its a 2.5 week holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Also...although completely unrelated, I'm on a FAS work placement programme, I work 9-5.30 mon-fri for no pay, my only income is social welfare but I am desperate for experience in my field to improve my future job chances, so working for 9 months straight with no pay can be tough on the old moral so I decided to find myself the cheapest holiday possible and visit some family. If the cheapest option is 2.5 weeks then so be it, dont judge me.

Also thanks to those giving me the benefit of the doubt that im not trying to sponge off the state

• Advertisement

Also...although completely unrelated, I'm on a FAS work placement programme, I work 9-5.30 mon-fri for no pay, my only income is social welfare but I am desperate for experience in my field to improve my future job chances, so working for 9 months straight with no pay can be tough on the old moral so I decided to find myself the cheapest holiday possible and visit some family. If the cheapest option is 2.5 weeks then so be it, dont judge me.

I dunno how the WWP would affect it. It sounds like it would be between you and the employeer. Best go ask your social welfare for certain.

Also, don't listen to anyone who says you shouldn't be going on a holiday. We're all entitled to them. :)

You are getting paid. It was your choice to go on this scheme, if you dont like it why dont you emigrate? or do you plan to be a burden on the state for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

I really cant believe you asked that question. If it was even a question. Go put your head back in the sand!

You are getting paid. It was your choice to go on this scheme, if you dont like it why dont you emigrate? or do you plan to be a burden on the state for another while.

Who the hell do you think you are? Do you think he wants to be on the dole working or nothing. OP I wouldnt bother answering such small minded comments.

I had to go to the UK for my granmothers funeral a few years ago. I managed to get a lift with others via the ferry with other family and so it cost me nothing. However I did stay almost 3 weeks as I also returned with the same family. I called the CWO who was fine with that and I was paid what i missed when I returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

What a mong, sorry I mean troll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Have you contributed more to the state than Noo to the state..If unsure you should keep quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The stench of smugness coming off this post is overwhelming.

At least he's trying to better himself to improve his chances of getting a job. He paid PRSI and tax for years and he's entitled to SW while he searches for a job. There's no need to jump up on your high horse and berate people about it.

Actually... no. All that changes is he works for slave labour and doesn't sign on.

Look, just shut up. You honestly are one of the most insensitive, high-horsed, lunatics I have ever seen on this site. I understand the hate against the scroungers but to actually think that the WWP is a good thing is just insane.

Do you know he would have getting the same amount of money for not going on the WWP?

No, you assume it's a job, don't you. You assume it's the same job that you have but it isn't.

While I can't stand the fact the OP chooses to go on one of those programmes, you have to admit, you're well beneath him on the ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ok people warnings were not heeded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement