Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas on some good bass songs to learn

Options
  • 19-03-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Hey, ive started to learn the bass and im trying to find some songs that have a good bass line to follow, like another one bites the dust... most songs i try learn its mainly just being in rythem hitting the one note constantly and not much fun...

thought id learn it as a change from guitar for a while but can see why not alot of people want to "slap the bass"

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

"Money" by Pink Flyod has a catchy bass riff, as has "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream. Others to check out would be "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple, "Day Tripper" by the Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What kind of bass have you got (4/5/6+ string) and what kind of stuff are you interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

chili peppers stuff is very bass rich and interesting its pretty complex as bass goes, the bass actually has a seperate part and not just tapping out the bassier version of what the guitar does :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Learn anything by the chilis, it's difficult at first to get used to muted notes/slapping, but it'll make you a better bassist in the long run. Learning new techniques from different styles is what gets you good.

Try to ignore any of the new indie/pop bands of today, they usually only play open notes/do silly things like that.

A lot fo stuff from the 60's/70's has good basslines too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

@ malice its a 4 string, and im intrested in anything really, mainly classic rock, queen, stones all that... once it isnt guns n roses :P

One friend was recomending Queens of the stone age songs, thinkin about it they have a few very good bass lines but Ill give the chillies a go, dont see my self in fleas shoes any time soon though!!

is it best to use fingers for hitting strings or a pick? or is it down to personal taste?

@ malice its a 4 string, and im intrested in anything really, mainly classic rock, queen, stones all that... once it isnt guns n roses :P
    Ah well I'm still going to recommend Sweet Child O' Mine. Yes it's overplayed but the bass line is quite interesting. It doesn't just duplicate the guitar melody. Otherwise try the Red Hot Chili Peppers as recommended by lalee17 but some of their stuff can be damn difficult to play. If you're not averse to Metallica I highly recommend checking out Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth and Orion. They are superb examples of what the bass can do when it's responsible for the melody of a song.
    is it best to use fingers for hitting strings or a pick? or is it down to personal taste?
    You're opening a can of worms with that question :). When I started playing the bass I used a pick all the time. I switched to playing fingerstyle a few years ago and now I do either depending on the song. I would say don't limit yourself to playing exclusively in one style over another. Both styles have positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Blister in the Sun by The Violent Femmes is a great one. It's really fun to play and has a bass solo in there too. :)

Malice wrote: »
    I would say don't limit yourself to playing exclusively in one style over another. Both styles have positives.

+1.

Playing bass with a pick is looked down upon by a lot of people, and fellow bass players alike, as being some how inferior to finger picking. Don't pay any attention to this. Play what feels comfortable and natural to you. I agree with Malice that both techniques have their place.

Whichever you choose, be careful about how you go about it, because both can cause physical problems later on, if not done correctly. Basically, both wrists should be as straight as possible. Search You Tube for bass technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Good call on Money, the first song I learned.
    A lot of Queen songs are handy.
    You tube is your friend. Listen out for a song you would like or think you could play and type *song name* and bass into you tube and there is some great stuff up there to help you get along.

• Advertisement

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree with Malice
    You'll disagree with me over something someday :p.

Malice wrote: »
    You'll disagree with me over something someday :p.

Great minds think alike !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I liked learning the sultans of swing, moderately quick changes that get you used to moving your hand around the guitar..

I started out by learning every song in a Nirvana tab book, each to their own i guess.

Dont mind what people are saying about fingers/plec, no one really cares!

most songs i try learn its mainly just being in rythem hitting the one note constantly and not much fun...

This should keep you busy for a while. ;) This guy makes it look so easy. I've being working on it myself, and just about have it nailed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opDEoTZnrwg

novarock wrote: »
    Dont mind what people are saying about fingers/plec, no one really cares!
    Sadly people do. Not so much on this forum thankfully but there are some real zealots on other bass-orientated forums on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

A Forest by The Cure, Cars by Gary Numan, Black Night by Deep Purple are great songs to learn on the bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Try some Muse. The bass lines range from very simple lines, to more melodic and intricate lines. None of the bass lines are technically difficult but he pumps out 16th notes pretty fast and a lot of the songs require a lot of stamina, "New Born" for instance.

In this one he's practically following the guitar note for note, but hey, still very fun to play. The next is a drum and bass jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7i7siBTGQ&feature=fvsr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01r6-_t2x0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I was first learning, the Yes album 90125 was very useful, because it had a good range of styles and difficulties. A song like "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is a simple Pop song with an easy bassline, but then you have "Our Song", which one magazine review called "a one song electric bass primer". I still haven't got it quite right, after all these years, mostly because Chris Squire is arguably the pick player to watch, while I'm all fingers. Here's a YouTube guy having a good bash at it - if only he'd tuned up first. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Try some Muse. The bass lines range from very simple lines, to more melodic and intricate lines. None of the bass lines are technically difficult but he pumps out 16th notes pretty fast and a lot of the songs require a lot of stamina, "New Born" for instance.

In this one he's practically following the guitar note for note, but hey, still very fun to play. The next is a drum and bass jam.

|Fixed those embeds for you. Just quote my post if you want to see how it works compared to what you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Sir Duke :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement