Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin Modem & Router - Eircom Broadband - Help!

• 19-03-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I've purchased a new Belkin modem and router today. It's the Belkin Play N600.

I've set it up by putting in the various usernames/passwords/VPI and VCI etc...that need to be put in.

Unfortunately the speed I'm getting using the router is ridiculously slow - I'm only getting 70 kbps or so. I am an extended reach customer so the max I can get is about 1.2 mb.

What do I need to do to increase the speed I'm getting through the router?

When I switch over to the old router I was using (Netopia) I'm getting about the right speed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is a Belkin, nuff said. Could be wireless interference of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I don't get it.....

I've used Belkin products before and they've been fine. I spent over over €100 I expect it to work properly.

I must do a wired speed test now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Sponge Bob wrote: »

the same could be said of ANY router, any product even, to be honest! :confused:

OP what speed are you getting when you hook it up to the router via ethernet cable?

as the other poster said though, try changing the wireless channel, i "think" from what i read about this router (im having the exact same model delivered some day next week) that it has an auto-channel selection feature, where it monitors wireless channels to select the one it calculates to be the optimal channel for reception. it probably stands to reason it doesnt always get it right though.

check what channel you are using on the netopia router and then try that one.

hope this helps.

xsiborg wrote: »
    the same could be said of ANY router, any product even, to be honest! :confused:

OP what speed are you getting when you hook it up to the router via ethernet cable?

as the other poster said though, try changing the wireless channel, i "think" from what i read about this router (im having the exact same model delivered some day next week) that it has an auto-channel selection feature, where it monitors wireless channels to select the one it calculates to be the optimal channel for reception. it probably stands to reason it doesnt always get it right though.

check what channel you are using on the netopia router and then try that one.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the comment Xsiborg -

I'm getting the same speed whether I run a wired or a wireless connection. I'm getting about 300 kbps through it compared to 1 mb through the netopia router.

I was on to Belkin support for about 3 hours and they couldn't find the problem and weren't very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mossie

I had the same problem with the cable version of the same router (Play 600N). I returned it to the shop and got a Linksys / Cisco instead. Much better I must say. I have had good and bad experiences with Belkin before but the bad out weigh the good for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sponge Bob's right, Belkin make some utter shíte networking products that fail to do basic networking functions. They can work, but I've seen them give nothing but trouble and lots of times they barely last out the warranty.

I recommend Linksys, Netgear, Buffalo or Dlink, in that order

Thanks for the replies - I've brought the modem/router back and have gone back to my netopia router.

Unbelievable how I can't manage to get away from netopia!

Shane732 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - I've brought the modem/router back and have gone back to my netopia router.

Unbelievable how I can't manage to get away from netopia!

I have :p

I use a Linksys AM200 with a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT for the ultimate control of my network. I can then do fancy things like QOS to prioritize devices or protocols like an expensive router, allowing me to game when others are watching youtube or running torrents etc. Slightly more expensive than a normal setup but worth it for the control it gives.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have :p

I use a Linksys AM200 with a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT for the ultimate control of my network. I can then do fancy things like QOS to prioritize devices or protocols like an expensive router, allowing me to game when others are watching youtube or running torrents etc. Slightly more expensive than a normal setup but worth it for the control it gives.

It's not even that I want to do anything fancy with it....

I'd just like to have something that will allow me to transfer large files over the network wirelessly at a reasonable speed. Something that will allow for reasonable streaming and that will allow me to add proper storage.

Argh.... :mad:

Run some cables, cat5 will do gigabit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'd just like to have something that will allow me to transfer large files over the network wirelessly at a reasonable speed. Something that will allow for reasonable streaming and that will allow me to add proper storage.

Transferring large amounts of data over a wireless network is not really a very good idea. Wireless can suffer badly from interference, and even 802.11N often won't improve much over 802.11G. If you're transferring from wireless to wireless, than that's a really really bad idea. It would be best to have the source or destination wired. Same goes for streaming video, keep the source wired to the router.

Also, avoid Belkin networking gear, it's just crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob is always glad when people see the light about Belkin.

Advertisement