Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking News - Bale signs new 4 and a half year contract.

Options
  • 19-03-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Being reported by the BBC now.

Excellent news. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

On Spurs website now.
    The Club is delighted to announce that Gareth Bale has signed a new four-and-a-half year contract which runs until 2015.‬
    The Wales international is regarded as one of the top young players in Europe after playing a key role in our run to the quarter-finals of the Champions League including an unforgettable hat-trick against Inter Milan at the San Siro and a Man of the Match display when the reigning European champions came to north London a fortnight later.‬
    The powerful left-sided Wales international joined the Club as a 17-year-old from Southampton in May, 2007 and has gone on to make 112 appearances in our colours, scoring 17 goals.‬
    The 21-year-old's electrifying displays on the left flank were instrumental in helping the Club to fourth place last season, with winning strikes against Arsenal and Chelsea, and he continued where he left off so far scoring 11 goals in 34 games in the current campaign.
    Manager Harry Redknapp reacted to the news by saying: "It's great to have Gareth sign a new contract at the Club.
    "He is a fantastic player and the type of player we need to be keeping at Spurs.
    "Gareth is now one of the top left sided players in the world, he really is an amazing talent and can only get better. He is a smashing lad as well which is equally as important.‬
    "He has got his whole future ahead and he has everything going for him."
    Back in the side for today's Premier League meeting with West Ham, Gareth added: "I am enjoying my football at Tottenham. I want us to keep going forward as a team and hopefully we can achieve big things.
    "We have got a great squad that is still young and we are going places. It is great to commit to this club and hopefully we can achieve what we believe we can with this squad. The players want what the fans want, and performing in front of these fans is a special experience.
    "I definitely believe we can challenge for a title very soon. That is why I have signed. Every year as a minimum we are aiming to qualify for the Champions League so we are definitely going in the right direction.
    "We have proven in the Champions League this season that we can compete with the best and we are in the last eight now and there is no reason we can't go further this season and in years to come."

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Would love to know the buy-out fee on contract..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Am sure it has already been faxed to United. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree,

IMHO, it's simply a way to make UTD pay more this summer. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but I still think Alex will be sniffing around in Augistvand we'll still take 40m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ziedth wrote: »
    I agree,

IMHO, it's simply a way to make UTD pay more this summer. If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but I still think Alex will be sniffing around in Augistvand we'll still take 40m.

That's true enough, good business from Spurs to tie him up on a longer contract, will increase any potential transfer fee by some margin.

How long was on his existing contract?

• Advertisement

I'm going to say 18ish months cause I had it in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's true enough, good business from Spurs to tie him up on a longer contract, will increase any potential transfer fee by some margin.

How long was on his existing contract?

He signed a contract last summer which ran 'til 2014, so this new contract just adds a year that. The new contract is more about making him one of the top earners at the club rather than tying him down and guaranteeing a hefty price if he moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Deisler wrote: »
    Would love to know the buy-out fee on contract..

I doub there was 1 put it so then the club will never be obliged to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jimmyspurs

Ah lads (and lasses?) , yous are all so cynical.:rolleyes: He has signed the contract and is happy at the moment at WHL. But yeah i am sure United and Real and maybe even Barca will come sniffing in the summer, we cant stop that. But 40 million would be extremely cheap IMO. £50 million at the very least when you consider his age. Who would we get to replace him? And it wouldnt be much in the building of new stadium line of things, that is going to take real money. I can only guess at the figures for a new stadium. :(. anyway i hope he is with us for a few years yet, heres hoping!

I have had a second theory on this, Harry has convienced him we are going to spend big in the summer and we are going to make one big push for a title challenge. That is why he has simply upped ho's money and not signed a significant extension.

I hope that's it anyway. I'd personally rather Bale then 40-50m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What did ye think of Bale's performance on Sat vs spammers lads?

I was minding the nipper so I only had one eye on the telly but I thought he was poor.

From what I could see, the rest of the team only seems interested in getting the ball to Lennon. Compare this to a few months ago when it was all 'give it to Bale'.

Even during few times he did get on the ball and/or when he tried to take on the opposition he didn't really get any end result. It was the same against Wolves and AC Milan which is what is worrying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What did ye think of Bale's performance on Sat vs spammers lads?

I was minding the nipper so I only had one eye on the telly but I thought he was poor.

From what I could see, the rest of the team only seems interested in getting the ball to Lennon. Compare this to a few months ago when it was all 'give it to Bale'.

Even during few times he did get on the ball and/or when he tried to take on the opposition he didn't really get any end result. It was the same against Wolves and AC Milan which is what is worrying me.

I thought he looked reasonably sharp when he came on against Wolves, but he was well short of his 2010 form in the last 2 games. He is still finding his way back from an injury so I'll give him another game or 2 to find his stride again.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

I hope he stays for real but it's good nonetheless from the standpoint of a buy-out clause at the very least. His performance against Inter really turned a few heads I reckon.

I hear there's a possibility that HArry might take the English job in 2012 when Capello stands down? Or is this just some rubbish rumour?

Advertisement