Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Carolina for Erasmus

Options
  • 19-03-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hey Guys! Just wondering is there anyone out there who went to South Carolina for their Erasmus? I got accepted and although id LOVE to go I'm worried about the expense, has anyone any idea how much it is for on-campus accommodation over there. I can't find prices anywhere on their website :confused: Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I went to Upstate New York (south caro was an option) and the accom was a little over $1k, there was a meal plan for a couple hundred and other expenses too. It will cost you with flights around $3 (less in euros), be aware that you need to meet J1 visa too in terms of showing money to support yourself while over there - not that hard to do that though and ways and means around it.

After that - you will need spending costs, if you want to travel, etc. It will, all these included cost in total a few grand. You have to live over there remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I know people going to poland for it in september. Are there many places to choose from?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

I went to Upstate New York (south caro was an option) and the accom was a little over $1k, there was a meal plan for a couple hundred and other expenses too. It will cost you with flights around $3 (less in euros), be aware that you need to meet J1 visa too in terms of showing money to support yourself while over there - not that hard to do that though and ways and means around it.

After that - you will need spending costs, if you want to travel, etc. It will, all these included cost in total a few grand. You have to live over there remember!

Thanks a mill, I just can't seem to find any prices on accommodation for South Carolina anywhere, I was hoping to have exact figures so I know how much I'd need to save etc. Did you find it expensive to live over there? on a weekly basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's USC you're going to, tazbars? If it is, I have a friend who did her primary degree there, send me your email by PM and I'll see if she's up for giving you some advice.

Aside, I'd have assumed that there would be some sort of file kept in the International Office with experiences from people who'd gone on Erasmus/Study Abroad (going to the US would be Study Abroad or reciprocal exchange rather than Erasmus) with snippets of information like this for people coming after them. Do they not do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Yeah they will have reports in the international office and you should be able to ask the international office of Uni South Carolina too - they will be able to give you an estimate (the fees are dependent of state tax and go up and down Dependant on intake but shouldnt rise too much any new semester)

OP - remember that you will be there 4 months or so so you will need money. You're visa will allow you to work up to 20hours if you wanted to and there's also plenty of work on campus. I didn't work but had co -op the semester beforehand (which was in my home city so i managed to save most of it up which funded my trip mostly)

• Advertisement
Advertisement