Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Shopping.

• 19-03-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

I was up in Clonmel today and I have to say it was a pleasure to shop there, no parking charges, and an excellent range of shops and more to come by the look of things, now compare that with our city shopping centre with it's rip off parking and very few shops, I think Waterford as a city should have a better shopping centre than it has and I think our city is dead or at least on it's way out, now I know I'll be shouted down for rubbishing our city but the truth is the truth and I wouldn't recommend Waterford as a place to shop to anyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

200motels wrote: »
    I was up in Clonmel today and I have to say it was a pleasure to shop there, no parking charges, and an excellent range of shops and more to come by the look of things, now compare that with our city shopping centre with it's rip off parking and very few shops, I think Waterford as a city should have a better shopping centre than it has and I think our city is dead or at least on it's way out, now I know I'll be shouted down for rubbishing our city but the truth is the truth and I wouldn't recommend Waterford as a place to shop to anyone.

just because there's no parking charges doesnt make it better, in limerick theres not even any parking machines, u have to go in and get the discs like the old days. does that make waterford better than limerick???
    Waterford is definitly underserved but to say we have very few shops is a bit off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ParkMagic

HI. Not sure where you were in Clonmel but the town does have parking charges.

O Riain wrote: »
    just because there's no parking charges doesnt make it better, in limerick theres not even any parking machines, u have to go in and get the discs like the old days. does that make waterford better than limerick???
    Waterford is definitly underserved but to say we have very few shops is a bit off the mark

Hi there O Riain
    You are a bit out of touch with the parking in Limerick. Lots of people now pay by phone. The phone number is free and they can pay just 50c for half hour up to 2 euro for 2 hours. Next time you are in Limerick check the red sign on nearly every parking pole that has the phone number to call during business hours. So no need to find a shop. plus they can call again if they run out of time to pay again and avoid getting a ticket. The machines in Waterford only let you pay with coins and if you run out of time they you get a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

ParkMagic wrote: »
    Hi there O Riain
    You are a bit out of touch with the parking in Limerick. Lots of people now pay by phone. The phone number is free and they can pay just 50c for half hour up to 2 euro for 2 hours. Next time you are in Limerick check the red sign on nearly every parking pole that has the phone number to call during business hours. So no need to find a shop. plus they can call again if they run out of time to pay again and avoid getting a ticket. The machines in Waterford only let you pay with coins and if you run out of time they you get a ticket

ah right, i did see somethin about that but Im sorry i prefer the physical nature of a coin in a machine for a ticket with a time on it in the windscreen of me car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi there O Riain

Wow thats really good, is it the council or a private company that looks after the parking?

Love shopping in Clonmel too, Just a few shops that aren't here and a tiny Marks too!
    I went up there for maternity clothes and got a whole wardrobe.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Wow thats really good, is it the council or a private company that looks after the parking?

Love shopping in Clonmel too, Just a few shops that aren't here and a tiny Marks too!
    I went up there for maternity clothes and got a whole wardrobe.

Private company runs the service for the Council. its in Cork City too. Handy for avoiding tickets and of course they have clamping in cork so avoids that too.
    (Confession time. it is called ParkMagic- I forgot to change my login. Normally only use this when responding to comments directly relating to the services that we operate)- not an advertising trick, i assure you.

On the shopping. everybody thinks their own home town is crap but visitors like them. I like Waterford and Kilkenny but I like Limerick too and I am from Limerick

Yeah I lived in Limerick for a while, I think the shopping in the city is great, the Parkway and the Cresent don't take away from it.

the population seems to attract both big chains and boutiques. A few fashion students have started their own businesses in the city and are doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

HI. Not sure where you were in Clonmel but the town does have parking charges.
    I was in the shopping centre with M&S, I wasn't talking about the parking in the town just the shopping centre. I think the Lisduggan shopping centre is better than City Square at least the parking is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Must say I go to Clonmel just for M&S. Anyone who is partial to a muffin or Tuna will know why. :)

I think an M&S would clean up in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I was in Carlow recently and I was surprised at the shops on offer there even, I'd definitely choose clonmel over Waterford these days as Waterford has turned into a ghost town thanks to the dopes at board plenala and the council who reject everything that gets proposed.

• Advertisement

I was in Carlow recently and I was surprised at the shops on offer there even, I'd definitely choose clonmel over Waterford these days as Waterford has turned into a ghost town thanks to the dopes at board plenala and the council who reject everything that gets proposed.
    Well said couldn't agree more, they have ruined this town, I have friends who like to visit Waterford because of it's history but they say when they come to the city centre they are bewildered by how many shops have closed down and we don't have as many shops as a city should do, I keep telling them it's the idiots in the council that have this city ruined and one or two fools who keep objecting to everything new to be built. Don't get me wrong I love this city but we can't keep pretending that everything is rosy in the garden when it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Well if nobody supports Waterford city it will be a ghost town!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think the cost of parking is too expensive in Waterford and it puts me off bothering to go into the city centre.

I like to shop in Clonmel whenever I'm passing though sometimes I'll just go there anyway if I want to go to M&S, James Whelan Butchers and a couple of other shops.

I like shopping in Carlow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Yes deisemum , it's ironic that leading retailers are cleaning up on clock tower car park, they just won't leave it go , probably help keeping some of their business afloat.

decies wrote: »
    Yes deisemum , it's ironic that leading retailers are cleaning up on clock tower car park, they just won't leave it go , probably help keeping some of their business afloat.
    Who are the owners of the car parks on the quay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Reducing the cost of car parking would be a start and should encourage more people into the city centre who would then shop more when they get there.

I was in the shopping centre with M&S, I wasn't talking about the parking in the town just the shopping centre. I think the Lisduggan shopping centre is better than City Square at least the parking is free.

I don't want to open a can of worms but when they were deciding about locating a shopping center in the show grounds the developer were arguing that it was with in walking distance of the town and so it would attract customers into the town to shop..... but you only visited the shopping center.

(The company I worked for was looking at locating a store in the center)

I have walked from the center into Clonmel town but I wouldn't walk from the new Dunnes into town. This is what Waterford cc are trying to discourage, different developments scattered just outside town.

All said without the show grounds there would not be much different in Clonmel compared to Waterford so Clonmel made the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Who are the owners of the car parks on the quay?
    Yes there's a group of them in on it,carpark fatcats...

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Yes there's a group of them in on it,carpark fatcats...
    Who are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

* double post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Who are they?
    A group called Keverflow Ltd own the car park by the Clock Tower. There is a sign up there and I think it has the businesses involved in Keverflow. From memory I think it's Mulligans, Granville Hotel, Fitzgerald's Menswear and George's Court Shopping Centre. I think some of the other car parks on the Quay are owned by the Council and I think the one by the crane is privately owned.
    deisemum wrote:
    I like to shop in Clonmel whenever I'm passing though sometimes I'll just go there anyway if I want to go to M&S, James Whelan Butchers and a couple of other shops.
    But it would cost a few quid in petrol to travel to Clonmel - I don't drive but would it be more than the cost of parking in the city centre? Fair enough if you specifically want to go to M&S.

IMO, people should look at the big picture and just bite the bullet and pay the few Euro for parking. Yeah it may cost too much and we can compare our prices to other towns and cities but look it this way, that few Euro is helping support local businesses and their employees, the Council etc. The more money that leaves the city, the less shops we'll have and the more people will complain they we have nothing!

A group called Keverflow Ltd own the car park by the Clock Tower. There is a sign up there and I think it has the businesses involved in Keverflow. From memory I think it's Mulligans, Granville Hotel, Fitzgerald's Menswear and George's Court Shopping Centre. I think some of the other car parks on the Quay are owned by the Council and I think the one by the crane is privately owned.

But it would cost a few quid in petrol to travel to Clonmel - I don't drive but would it be more than the cost of parking in the city centre? Fair enough if you specifically want to go to M&S.

IMO, people should look at the big picture and just bite the bullet and pay the few Euro for parking. Yeah it may cost too much and we can compare our prices to other towns and cities but look it this way, that few Euro is helping support local businesses and their employees, the Council etc. The more money that leaves the city, the less shops we'll have and the more people will complain they we have nothing!
    You make a lot of valid points but giving money to our crap council is not for me, if they were anyway half descent well and good but no the bunch of them are useless.

Advertisement