Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bakers to close

• 19-03-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

Wanted to put this seperate to the business closing thread til after weekend to allow as many people see it as possible,

tomorrow night Bakers shuts up for the last time. I believe the Wicked chicken is going with it. :( Sad times.

Get yourself along to the final gig to say goodbye.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Bakers i must admit havent fequented in years but the chicken a huge loss. No more foreign beers good music and good craic and decent kebab afterwards. Plus where will mickeys staff go on their breaks and nights off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

cobblestones would have made a class brewhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

zuroph wrote: »
    cobblestones would have made a class brewhouse.

We'll see yet. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Berty what do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

itd be an epic brewhouse, built perfectly for it. theres also another venue opening up town in a few weeks that i expect to pick up a bit of that business also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Wow... I'm moving from Limerick in two weeks and I'm very sad to see Bakers go... had far too much of a good time in there over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Surprised the Chicken is closing, haven't been there in an age but it always seemed busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Big Loss to Limerick:mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zuroph wrote: »
    Wanted to put this seperate to the business closing thread til after weekend to allow as many people see it as possible,

tomorrow night Bakers shuts up for the last time. I believe the Wicked chicken is going with it. :( Sad times.

Get yourself along to the final gig to say goodbye.

Do you have a source for this? As a patron of both establishments for over 4 years, I'm particularly interested in this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Looks like the dank of Costellos will have to suffice...

Big loss though, had some great nights and many many hazy memories of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Limerick needs a new Quinns!
    /thread

~B

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just saw their Facebook page. I can't believe it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

no no this cant be...i refuse to believe it...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 tof2006

:eek: big loss, and in a very short notice ( they had a couple of bands lined up ....) :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The writing is on the wall for the city.

I suspect that this summer is going to be the end for a lot of businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thats terrible, used to like the Chicken but it had gotten very quiet over the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

F*ck sake.

Last time I was in there during RAG Week, they were pretty empty. Sad to see.

Hopefully someone who cares about the Bakers/Wicked Chicken legacy will be able to re-open it once things start to turn around again. It'd be great if someone new could take it on and stay true to what made it such a great place for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

About 6 years ago I know somebody who was considering taking over the license but there were massive debts on it. They ran away rather quick.

Unfortunately this climate is much worse so the likelyhood that somebody could even entertain the idea is slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Damn shame. This makes me sad. Sign of the times :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just had a last pint in there. Very sad to see it closing tbh. Remember sneaking in there when I was underage and remember when it closed before. Hopefully it'll be brought back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Balls :(

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wouldn't say it's the death knell for the city. How come Costelloes always seems to have a crowd around through thick and thin.

It's a bad blow for alternative venues in Limerick. Where can original bands play now? Only in Dolans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Where are us trendy hipsters all gonna go now? Mickey's is just too small and Cobblestone Joe's is also too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Where are us trendy hipsters all gonna go now?

Ironically go to Icon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bullets wrote: »
    Limerick needs a new Quinns!
    /thread

~B

Better yet, Limerick needs the old Quinns back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Kess73 wrote: »
    Better yet, Limerick needs the old Quinns back.
    in complete agreement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Shame to see it go..

Its been YEARS since I've been in Bakers...Spent WAAAAAAY too many Saturday nights there around 94 -98 !!

Great Days
    Anyone remember the kick-ass cover's band Easy Singles that used to play there on Saturday nights??
    They were incredible, they could literally play anything from the Beatles to the Wonderstuff!!!
    Then the Club downstairs played the best indie set around at the time...
    Great great memories!!

As a previous poster said, Limerick is in a dire situation...Hopefully having an influential Cabinet Minister will bring some much needed direct investment into our proud City.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Just saw this :( Big loss. Literally no good pubs for music left. Unless you like Diddly aye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

was never a fan of the night club but the Wicked Chicken will be missed even though it was dead quiet last few times i was there..

Advertisement