Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bakers to close

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

seachto7 wrote: »
    It's a bad blow for alternative venues in Limerick. Where can original bands play now? Only in Dolans?

Perhaps Costelloes might be tempted to go that route now...although I cant really think where they could fit it in, an extension to the dodgy smoking cage area? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Perhaps Costelloes might be tempted to go that route now...although I cant really think where they could fit it in, an extension to the dodgy smoking cage area? :D

I can remember band playing in Costello's they set up on the dance floor lol. long time ago.

Chicken will be missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

zuroph wrote: »
    itd be an epic brewhouse, built perfectly for it. theres also another venue opening up town in a few weeks that i expect to pick up a bit of that business also.

As in like the Francesian Well in Cork type place?

Berty wrote: »
    We'll see yet. ;)

Like the Francesian Well they going to start brewing there own beer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bigpink wrote: »
    Like the Francesian Well they going to start brewing there own beer?

Nope, rather I sell it to them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

get a baar to stock schiehallion, hooked on the stuff!

Anyone know why its closing?

The Wicked Chicken seemed to have gone very quiet last year or so

bigpink wrote: »
    Anyone know why its closing?

The Wicked Chicken seemed to have gone very quiet last year or so

and the award for answering your own question goes to...

losing a lot a week just to stay open. heard figures today but wont post as they're hearsay.

The reason i ask is because my brother showed me it on Rooneys property site for ages,as in was the lease/building sold?

Could it re open with new owners?

Seemed to be busy with gigs anyway

losing a huge figure a week, ud need a big big bankroll to attempt to make a run of it, by the end they didnt even have money for marketing. its just a poor location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The biggest thing I'll miss is the music played by whoever dj-ed in the Chicken. That was so, so good, so different from anything you'd hear in the city.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

^ That plus one million. Between the music and the lighting/candles, the atmosphere in the Chicken was a fantastic alternative to everything else in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I always thought the DJ's they had in the chicked and Mickeys were great - so very different to the ones in the likes of D'Icon etc.

Plus one of my mates did a few nights in Mickeys - havent been in a while though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I used to love stepping on one creaky floorboard near the DJ. It always had an effect on the the decks and make a record jump for a split second. :pac:

Also I thought some of the djs had a terrible arrogance to them. The "I'm only playing music by bands you've never heard before!" brigade. I'm a firm believer in mixing it up. I also never liked those dubstep nights mainly because I hate dubstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I used to love stepping on one creaky floorboard near the DJ. It always had an effect on the the decks and make a record jump for a split second. :pac:

Also I thought some of the djs had a terrible arrogance to them. The "I'm only playing music by bands you've never heard before!" brigade. I'm a firm believer in mixing it up. I also never liked those dubstep nights mainly because I hate dubstep.

They played dubstep?? This just gets worse... How did I miss those :(

Tbh I'd prefer if more DJs had the balls to play good music for it's own sake and not whatever was the flavour of the month. Something no-one in Limerick does, apart from a friend's Hip-Hop night which only runs every two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Only heard about this today. Bakers was my favourite place to go out in Limerick, it was a place to just chill out and listen to some music, I discovered it when I was 16 when we couldn't get in anywhere else :p. Its the only place of its kind in the city (with the possible exception of Costello's, but still its not the same.)

It was always very busy during my first year of college, particularly on Thursday and Saturday nights, but I noticed the crowd starting to thin out last Summer and it didn't pick up even when college started back. (And it had a loyal group of regulars.) Still I didn't think that this is what would become of Bakers. And I'm out of the country so I couldn't even be there for the send off! :(

Advertisement