Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hooker

Options
  • 19-03-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Steady on guys... It's strictly the finest Irish Pale Ale for sale in little Ellen St. Was trying to find the old thread for craft Irish beers...

Info on 061 401190.

More to come - Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Ken had my stag last week in galway have to say great beer good flavour and easy to drink whenyou getting it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

It's there on draft ready to go.. Gone through a few kegs already with great feed back... Priced well right at €3.95..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fair play for bringing it down Ken. Must drop in myself for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Great will be down for a few. Must admit was in oslo beer hall in galway last week limerick needs one. Also in the bull and castle in dublin the week before and felt limerick is really missing out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sioda wrote: »
    Great will be down for a few. Must admit was in oslo beer hall in galway last week limerick needs one. Also in the bull and castle in dublin the week before and felt limerick is really missing out

The Oslo is a great bar. A really great spot. The Salt House is worth checking out too (same owners?). Fully agree we could with something similar in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Well good to see some interest and support, without it we won't be able to keep them as if its not flowing the quality won't be there. We hope to get one more ale and a stout and try drive them...

They'll all be priced cheaper than regular beers even tho cost slightly more to try encourage people onto them and make them more attractive for people to try.

Quite a few have expressed interest so fingers crossed, it's up to those around who want them to keep them..

Hopefully they'll go well. .

Go on the hooker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Excuse the ignorance, but what pub is this? Limerick is sorely lacking in beer selection, let alone produce from Irish breweries, so this is great news!

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance, but what pub is this? Limerick is sorely lacking in beer selection, let alone produce from Irish breweries, so this is great news!

Bar on little Ellen St, (formerly old quarter)

Have half the Guinness Collection up with some lovely carltonware pieces aswell and our full series of original Irish notes to pass the time while suppin the ale!!!

Thanks for the interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Class stuff. Will be in Tuesday for some Hooker, hear its great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

More suited to Beer Thread I think, @Mods feel free to move it back to Limerick if you think it's best there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Steady on guys... It's strictly the finest Irish Pale Ale for sale in little Ellen St. Was trying to find the old thread for craft Irish beers...

Info on 061 401190.

More to come - Ken

its not even brewed in Galway, but Roscommon and they do not spare the chemicals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fuinseog wrote: »
    they do not spare the chemicals
    Eh?

its not even brewed in Galway, but Roscommon and they do not spare the chemicals

Far from what it says on there website and the gold medal award they got in 2007... Care to elaborate???

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I hear it's FULL of dihydrogen monooxide!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I thought it was brewed in the Oslo in Salthill.

What is the brewing room up the back which you can see from the bar itself through the glass windows?

That's the Bay Brewery where they make Bay Lager and Bay Ale for the chain of pubs that Oslo is part of. The Hooker Brewery is indeed in Roscommon town.

Far from what it says on there website and the gold medal award they got in 2007... Care to elaborate???

there are better small breweries. I tried it once or twice and got an awful headache from it. Most barstaff I have talked to, do not hold it in high regard, but it sells well with the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

there are better small breweries. I tried it once or twice and got an awful headache from it. Most barstaff I have talked to, do not hold it in high regard, but it sells well with the tourists.

Regionally I'm sure it sells to Tourists whom have heard of Galway but try to get, lets say a barman in Kinsale or Killarney to sell it, and you might run into issues.

However, the idea of a publican in Limerick trying to create a bierhaus of sorts is admirable. Limerick does not have this by any stretch.

Hit Galway with the Salthouse, Roisin Dubh, Bierhaus(go figure), Massimo all within a stones throw of each other.

Glad somebody in Limerick has the balls to try something new.

Needs a bigger range though. ;)

Ken knows who I am. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

It won beer of the festival a few years ago at the Franciscan Well's Easter Beer Festival.

Twice: 2007 and 2009.

And, Fuinseog, if you're coming out with "they do not spare the chemicals" on the basis that you "tried it once or twice and got an awful headache from it", it might be time to learn a bit more about beer and how it's made before commenting further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Galway Hooker is my number one choice these days. I am at the point to where I avoid pubs that don't sell it.

It's good value at 4.20 in my local Ryan's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

but it sells well with the tourists.

Probably because they haven't been brain washed in to thinking that the only quality beer is made by Diageo or heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

It's my no. 1 in galway. Top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Info on 061 401190.

More to come - Ken

Saw it on the screen earlier, and had to crack the joke of when did the old quater become a brothel too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

is it included in the €3 pints at the table quiz?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Fuinseog, I'm taking a dim view of your unsubstantiated contribution to this thread so far. Please bear this in mind before you post here again.

Fuinseog, I'm taking a dim view of your unsubstantiated contribution to this thread so far. Please bear this in mind before you post here again.

before you get up on your high horse there John I should point out that most beers in this country have chemicals added to them ie They are not brewed according to the German purity law (Czech and Austrian beers would be brewed this way aswell). The beers here are not completely natural and you not only taste the difference, but are more likely to get a bad hangover from them.

I should point out that most beers in this country have chemicals added to them
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

before you get up on your high horse there John I should point out that most beers in this country have chemicals added to them ie They are not brewed according to the German purity law (Czech and Austrian beers would be brewed this way aswell). The beers here are not completely natural and you not only taste the difference, but are more likely to get a bad hangover from them.

Fuinseog, not only are you talking out of your arse, but you're also making serious allegations that the brewery are conducting false advertising.

From their website:

"At the Hooker Brewery, we hand-craft every batch to ensure that the perfect balance of malt sugars and hop flavours are extracted into the beer. The beer is produced in 650 litre batches and, because no chemicals are added to speed the process up, it spends an unusually long period (minimum of six weeks) in fermentation and conditioning before being ready for filtration and packaging. It might not make economic sense – sort of like a Hooker waiting for her wedding night – but it’s so worth it."

No matter how clean a beer is, you can get a hangover from it if you

a. haven't had enough to eat that day
    b. are tired before you drink it
    c. have had little water in the build-up to drinking it.

It's not just chemicals that provide a hangover, it's the dehydrational effect of the alcohol in the product also.

Dehydration = headache, anytime, not just when you've been drinking.

Galway Hooker is delicious. It's all I've been drinking for the last year. Hope they start bottling it soon. Would love to be able to have one at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

German purity is just a marketing ploy these days, it just restricts ingredient and does nothing to regulate quality, Germany produces it fair shear of bad/generic euro lager

If you mean “chemicals” like the likes of Calcium chloride and Calcium sulphate then you better stop drink tap water. Or dried marine algae, “Irish moss” are just another crop that’s harvested.

As for acids, such as food grade lactic acid produce industrially or by bacteria is lactic acid, homeopathic nonsense do not apply.

Advertisement