Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hooker

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Fuinseog wrote: »
    before you get up on your high horse there John I should point out that most beers in this country have chemicals added to them ie They are not brewed according to the German purity law (Czech and Austrian beers would be brewed this way aswell). The beers here are not completely natural and you not only taste the difference, but are more likely to get a bad hangover from them.

Also Galway hooker is a Pale ale with finished America hops that gives it a unique taste, your quote is referring to lager to very different taking beers. The water use to brew each contain different amounts of trace ions such as Calcium ,chloride ,sulphate and magnesium that will have a dramatic effect on taste, how the hops come through, yeast attenuation and mouth feel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

oblivious wrote: »
    Or dried marine algae, “Irish moss” are just another crop that’s harvested.
    And roasted barley, for that matter: a key ingredient in every Irish stout and not a "chemical", but not permitted under the Reinheitsgebot.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

This is great value at €3.95; paid my first visit to your pub last week solely because I heard you had got GH.

Any chance you'll be getting it in Annacotty too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A fantastic beer, stuff about chemicals and headaches is nonsense, while we are on the subject, last 2 times I was in Whelans on saturday nights they had none left when bar staff went to the pump, I wonder if its because its selling really fast or if they aren't ordering any new kegs, young girl behind didn't know when I asked her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Galway Hooker is my number one choice these days. I am at the point to where I avoid pubs that don't sell it.

It's good value at 4.20 in my local Ryan's

Goes down well with a BLT!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

kraggy wrote: »
    Hope they start bottling it soon. Would love to be able to have one at home.

Was talking to Aidan recently - they intend on bottling it soon, later this year in fact!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Had it in Galway for the first time since I came back to Ireland on Sunday. As a poster mentioned above, they didn't have it in Whelan's last Wednesday night. A delicious beer and good to see it becoming available in more and more pubs around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    before you get up on your high horse there John I should point out that most beers in this country have chemicals added to them ie They are not brewed according to the German purity law (Czech and Austrian beers would be brewed this way aswell). The beers here are not completely natural and you not only taste the difference, but are more likely to get a bad hangover from them.

Fuinseog:

1. Do not argue on-thread after a mod warning.
    2. You made specific unsubstantiated allegations regarding chemicals in the product being discussed in this thread & are now using generalisations to try to back-up that statement. Poor form.
    3. Do not post in this thread again. (If you have an issue - PM me & Mr M.)

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Was talking to Aidan recently - they intend on bottling it soon, later this year in fact!;)

Brilliant!

Hope it's a reasonable price.

That's excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

It was only €3 a pint in The Bierhaus in Galway last week, great value for a great beer. Delighted to see it in so many places now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

About bloody time they are bottling it. The kit for bottling was in the brewery when they took it over. Might be able to get it at home in quantities smaller than half a cask now :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

mikewest wrote: »
    About bloody time they are bottling it. The kit for bottling was in the brewery when they took it over. Might be able to get it at home in quantities smaller than half a cask now :D.

Unfortunately brewing license limit you to selling 20 litres or more to the public directly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Available in bottles right now. Lovely stuff.

Advertisement