Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undiagnosed nerve pain in tooth

Options
  • 19-03-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,
    Was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and able to advise? I went to a dentist in Dec 10 for a small filling. After the filling, I became aware that I still had nerve pain (on the tooth in question) when eating crunchy foods. I could eat all other foods normally and hot/cold drinks did not affect the tooth. I went to my regular dentist who smoothed down the filling and put a varnish over the tooth. I had an x-ray but everything looked fine. The treatment was of no help. So I went to another (3rd) dentist for a second opinion and he thought the enamal may have been scraped off the tooth and he put another cover on the tooth (not sure what it was but required a light to dry it). This hasn't helped. My last option is replacing the filling but have been told, this may not fix the issue. So, basically I've spent over €300 and seen 3 different dentists and have nerve pain that cannot be fixed...very frustrating but thankful that the pain can be avoided if I am careful with what I eat. But whenever I do slip up and I crunch down on that tooth, the split second pain is so intense, I get dizzy!
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I am reluctant to engage in any diagnosis, but I will ask one question, was it a silver or white filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tuulia

It was a white filling. The third dentist I visited told me that these can shrink, so if the amount of material used was not enough, then when it shrinks, this could put extra pressure on the tooth (causing the sensitivity). My regular dentist will be doing the replacement filling and says she will use different material.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Partly correct result, vague but ok explanation. But having the filling replaced should fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tuulia

I'm getting the filling replaced, fingers crossed.

Advertisement