Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In praise of the HTC Desire

• 19-03-2011 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Just wanna say what a great device this is.
    Just the combination of beauty, usability and power- best phone i've ever owned.

Any other HTC Desire users who love their devices and wanna say why?
    Is it too much to say it's an iconic smartphone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I love mine. I came from the n97 so I'm bound to find the dhd excellent lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

mkennedy wrote: »
    Just wanna say what a great device this is.
    Just the combination of beauty, usability and power- best phone i've ever owned.

Any other HTC Desire users who love their devices and wanna say why?
    Is it too much to say it's an iconic smartphone.

Absolutely love it! I upgraded from an N96 to the Desire before Christmas and it's a gem of a device.Everyday I find new uses for the Android OS. :) It's deffo the best phone I've ever owned, too.I just love the look and feel of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I've had mine about 6 months now and normally I'd be wanting a new phone at this stage :rolleyes:.

but not with the Desire , i came from this monstrosity
    0.jpg
    The screen problems were a nightmare, after a few months i hated it.

Though with the desire i think I'll be keeping it well after my contract finishes.

<<plus>> still haven't rooted mine yet , so i have all these options on custom ROMS to explore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I'm very happy with mine too. Best phone I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I've had mine about 6 months now and normally I'd be wanting a new phone at this stage :rolleyes:.

This is the thing.
    Normally (after about a year) i'd be itching to upgrade but not with this device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

While I appreciate it for what it does, I find it sluggish at times. Anytime I go into manage applications (usually to force close an app gone wrong) it's very slow. Even the scrolling of the apps list isn't smooth at all, not that it matters but I find it strange they can't even get that right. Opening the message app or contacts etc. Not fast enough.

Thinking about rooting and installing something without HTC sense to see if that's causing any of the slowdowns. I know the friend stream app runs very slow and unresponsive at times anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Larsist

Completely agree. My previous phone was an iPhone and since getting the Desire I haven't looked back. I am entitled to an upgrade for the last 3 months but there is not another phone out there I want.

Larsist wrote: »
    Completely agree. My previous phone was an iPhone and since getting the Desire I haven't looked back. I am entitled to an upgrade for the last 3 months but there is not another phone out there I want.

Ye, the second i'm finished my contract, i'm switching to bill pay lite, cheaper:cool:

While I appreciate it for what it does, I find it sluggish at times. Anytime I go into manage applications (usually to force close an app gone wrong) it's very slow. Even the scrolling of the apps list isn't smooth at all, not that it matters but I find it strange they can't even get that right. Opening the message app or contacts etc. Not fast enough.

Thinking about rooting and installing something without HTC sense to see if that's causing any of the slowdowns. I know the friend stream app runs very slow and unresponsive at times anyway.

Really??
    There might be something wrong going on.

Sure the odd time if i open the application tab, it shutters for a second while they load but then everything is fine.

As for opening the messaging app and contacts they open instantly.

Now one thing i do notice that takes some time is the managing application section, sometimes that takes forever to load.
    If i want to stop an application i use Advanced Task Killer. Now i know it's bad for the phone but i only use it if an app is misbehaving.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Love it, have mine almost a year now, there's just nothing else out there to tempt me to upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Best phone ever, I wont be upgrading for a good while either. I work with a bunch of SGS owners who think I'm losing it when I say its a better phone. . .it is though ;)

I'm thinking of going back to a sense rom. . .decisions, decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I would guess your stuttering problems are to do with the app, rather than the ROM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

seanybiker wrote: »

+1 :D Thought the battery does P*ss me off - it died on me Sat evening after the game and hadn't really used it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

I came from an N95 8GB and think that Android is the way to go. The desire is a nice combo of size and functionality. Having Linux on my PC's at home adds an extra advantage, I can ssh into them and run updates, control my HTPC from mythremote, it was easier to root ...

However, the N95 had better quality hardware (i.e. camera and speakers) and I miss the TV out option.
    I wish I had some real programming skill so I could create some apps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

hardCopy wrote: »
    Love it, have mine almost a year now, there's just nothing else out there to tempt me to upgrade

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Venom wrote: »
    This.

And again. Like some others have said, I usually upgrade every 6 months or so but there is nothing out there that I would consider to be better than the Desire. Plus there's the added bonus of the huge volume of community support for the device, through sites like XDA-Dev. On the rare occasions where I start getting tired of the phone, I slap on a new ROM for a while and that gives it a new lease of life! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Luckycharm wrote: »
    +1 :D Thought the battery does P*ss me off - it died on me Sat evening after the game and hadn't really used it that much.

The battery was the main problem i had with the device initially.
    I unrooted and updated to Froyo and my battery seems to be a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I dropped mine for the first time since I bought it in May last year. The back popped off and the phone shut off. One large scratch on it and that's it. Perfect. God I love this phone. Perfect for my needs.

Cant see myself upgrading it for a long while to come too.

I know this is a little off topic ;) but the battery is the only downfall of this device. But im used to that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

Was looking at this phone on the meteor site, are there any updates planned for this phone to 2.2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its already runs on 2.2; the ones meteor sells are completely free of any branding and run with the latest HTC updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I have a HTC Hero, contract is up and am due an upgrade, should i get the Desire now, or wait a month or so and get the Desire S !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

seanybiker wrote: »

Same here. I wanted to love the N97, but it just didn't seem to want to love me :(

It just does what it's told, and then so much more!

If I had any touch of jealousy it would be when I see the bright vivid colours of those Samsung or iPhone displays, or even the original desire! The battery is brutal as well but I'm always near a usb charger, car charger, or home socket so that's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

I have the HTC Desire HD and I can truly say that its the best phone I ever had. It is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

I have the HTC Desire and am NOT impressed.

Like many others, my phone keeps rebooting itself. It is now at the stage that I have turned mobile data off. Connecting via wifi generally gets me up to 10 minutes before the unit reboots itself. It's effectively become a dumb phone.
    I brought it back to o2 for repair, but they claim water damage and refuse to repair it. This was doubly frustrating as (1) it is a common fault unrelated to water damage, and (2) the phone has not been used in any way that would be expected to cause water damage.

Can't recommend HTC to anybody, and not overly impressed with o2 either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

tipperary wrote: »
    I have the HTC Desire and am NOT impressed.

Like many others, my phone keeps rebooting itself. It is now at the stage that I have turned mobile data off. Connecting via wifi generally gets me up to 10 minutes before the unit reboots itself. It's effectively become a dumb phone.
    I brought it back to o2 for repair, but they claim water damage and refuse to repair it. This was doubly frustrating as (1) it is a common fault unrelated to water damage, and (2) the phone has not been used in any way that would be expected to cause water damage.

Can't recommend HTC to anybody, and not overly impressed with o2 either!
    Constant rebooting is usually related to a faulty motherboard. I've heard plenty of people gettting them replaced due to constant rebooting. Keep onto O2. Water damage is usually just an excuse to fob you off with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Forget O2 and go direct to HTC. They will collect your phone and send it to the UK to be repaired.
    Its a known problem with a batch of Desire where the CPU overheats causing the reboots you are seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

culsoh wrote: »
    I have the HTC Desire HD and I can truly say that its the best phone I ever had. It is excellent.

I agree i got the HD last week and fell in love with it after moving from a Wildfire.

Went into the phone shop today to buy a cover for the girlfriends Desire and saw the iphone 4 on display and it had angry birds running so opened mine up and compared and was shocked at how bad the iphone was compared to the HD.

Love the phone but the battery is awful even when i barely use the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

KAGY wrote: »
    I came from an N95 8GB and think that Android is the way to go. The desire is a nice combo of size and functionality. Having Linux on my PC's at home adds an extra advantage, I can ssh into them and run updates, control my HTPC from mythremote, it was easier to root ...

However, the N95 had better quality hardware (i.e. camera and speakers) and I miss the TV out option.
    I wish I had some real programming skill so I could create some apps...

Same story. The N95 had great speakers and a pretty good camera for that era of phone.

I've had my Desire now for 5 months and, still, hardly a day goes by when I'm still astounded by it. Never ever go back to Nokia now. I just love the user-ability of it from autosynching Calendars, WiFi Hotspot, Web-browsing and many various apps that I use daily. It's fast, it never crashes or freezes, it's sturdy, it looks great.... there's not one thing that I can say is bad about it (although as mentioned above, the camera and speakers were better in the N95).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

Oh yeah, the speaker (yes, singular) isn't great either. Have an X-Mini though which is good. A friend got an iPhone today and was playing music off my hi-fi aux and his seems to have a higher output if you know what I mean? If I plug my DHD in to play the same tune it's louder from his. Still wouldn't turn me though, my girfriend calls it her nemesis :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Really impressed with this phone.

Can see myself as a HTC customer for a few more years as result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Kenno90 wrote: »

but not with the Desire , i came from this monstrosity
    0.jpg
    The screen problems were a nightmare, after a few months i hated it.

Though with the desire i think I'll be keeping it well after my contract finishes.

<<plus>> still haven't rooted mine yet , so i have all these options on custom ROMS to explore

That the 5800? Same phone I had before this!

Really love my desire too.

Advertisement