Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket Boxes damaged....... Fix??

Options
  • 19-03-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Evening Folks,

I've a couple of Socket and switch boxes in a new build were the part on them where the screw screws into is damaged / stripped threads hence the screws no longer screw in.

Besides removal of the affected boxes which would be a serious pain in the ass and hassle that I could seriously do without..... Could anyone suggest a fix for this problem????? Is their any retrofit kits to allow repair in situ.

Thanks Folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It may be a case of just the screw being threaded. You could try getting a 3.5 threader and re-tap the lugs on the boxes. New screws also. The adjustable lug can be replaced on the boxes by getting a lug off a same type spare box (assuming they are metal boxes).

The switch boxes aren't as critical as they don't get much tugging, but you'll need a good thread on the sockets in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

try the above

3.5mm pozis or extension stud into back of box can be a 'last resort'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

islanderre wrote: »
    Evening Folks,

I've a couple of Socket and switch boxes in a new build were the part on them where the screw screws into is damaged / stripped threads hence the screws no longer screw in.

Besides removal of the affected boxes which would be a serious pain in the ass and hassle that I could seriously do without..... Could anyone suggest a fix for this problem????? Is their any retrofit kits to allow repair in situ.

Thanks Folks.
    Hi, are you sure your not missing the screw hole ?can be a bit tricky .Have you got the proper screws and lent? if its not that u could try different types of wood screws ,just make sure the socket is not moving or the cables can loosen over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Folks,

Ye are legends..... thanks alot. I'll follow the above hits in tips sometime next week.

Thanks alot, really appreciate it.

Regards,

Islanderre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Drill a 5.5mm hole in the back box directly behind the damaged lug and insert a tp2(red rawl plug).Using a 75mm extension screw to screw the socket back up, works every time.

Advertisement