Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle and toilet training

• 19-03-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭

We have a three year old beagle, female, neutered. She was toilet trained quickly enough but often, more frequently at the moment she has "accidents" at night in the house peeing and pooing. We put her out before we go to bed and she goes to the toilet but we can come down in the morning and there will be puddles and piles of poo. We've tried washing the floor with vinegar but that hasn't worked. We were minding a dog two years ago and he piddled everywhere so don't know if she can still smell him in the house and that's why she's doing it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey ultraman, if it's started hapening after having her clean overnight, you might think of having her checked by a vet. Just to make sure she has no physical problems.

Have you considered crate training? It's something I'd recommend to help combat so many problems! If you haven't already thought about it, then it's definitely worth your consideration. It also makes travel and over-nights away so much easier for the dog.

You might have to start getting up at night. But if she's clean during the day you should be able to phase that out quickly, just long enough to remind her she can't go inside even if it's nighttime.

I wouldn't clean with vinegar, if you think it might be a smell from another dog you can rule this out very quickly, you can get cleaner especially for this in a pet shop. I got a huge bottle for €6. I highly doubt after 2 years that this is the problem, but for your own peace of mind. You may as well set her up for success. :)

I use a combination of a bleached mop, (but rinsed before washing the floor) in very hot water, with 2 or 3 drops of lemon or lavendar essential oil dropped in. If I'm stuck I've squeezed citrus fruit into the water for a fresh smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Had similar problems with my fella few weeks ago, brought him to the vet and turned out he had a bit of an infection, he was put on antibiotics which made him wee like a river and caused plenty more accidents but he has got used to them now with only a few days left, all the accidents have stopped and hopefully he all better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

thanks for the reply's:)

Advertisement