Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best bullet grain 223 1in14 twist

Options
  • 19-03-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

whats the best bullet grain for a 1in 14 twist .22 rifle for foxing?whats the heaviest grain you could fire with decent results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

bazza888 wrote: »
    whats the best bullet grain for a 1in 14 twist .22 rifle for foxing?whats the heaviest grain you could fire with decent results?

55gr would probably be the heaviest.

Hornady 40gr and 55gr V-max would be great rounds for foxes.

American Eagle 50gr HP is a cheap general round out to 200 yards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

With such a slow twist the lighter bullets would best suit the rifle.

As mentioned i wouldn't pass the 55 gr mark.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

nice one cheap is good!what happens if you fire heavier grains would it just be less accurate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Usually yes.

The heavier bullets would not stabilise well in the slow twist and could result in less accuracy. Its not always the case, but its a good "rule of thumb" to stick by.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

nice one cheap is good!what happens if you fire heavier grains would it just be less accurate?

They won't stabilize in your rifle so instead of spinning in a prefect axis like a properly spun rugby ball it will spin like a badly thrown rugby ball.

Only example I could think of after the Irish match :D

• Advertisement

go on ireland!!whats the barrel life like in 223s,what grains would be best for fox ,i mean as long as i hit the right spot would 75gr drop him quicker than a 45grain bullet and cause more damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

best bullet grain 223 1in14 twist

Alarm bells:eek:!!!!!! or slip:o?????

If slip , then ok.
    If not, let me know if you shoot near me.:D

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

its a slip tony,the key, the key, the key, the 3 key is dodgy on my keyboard see what i mean!!

go on ireland!!whats the barrel life like in 223s,what grains would be best for fox ,i mean as long as i hit the right spot would 75gr drop him quicker than a 45grain bullet and cause more damage?

I'm not sure about barrel life but I'm sure someone here will answer that.

Its not so much about the gr of the bullet but more about the type of bullet.
    The V-max bullets are ballistic tipped so that means that on impact all the energy of the bullet will be transfered to the fox/rabbit and cause the bullet the literally break up and hit as many organs as possible. For a chest shot it will hit the heart, lungs and anything else around. This will give an instant kill or a very quick kill.

Hollow points will do the same but not as much if you can understand me.

Poulo has a great video showing the effects of the hollow point and ballistic rounds. I will try dig it out.

Here is the link on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/poulo69#p/a/u/2/OqcqBYM0pJI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

What rifle comes with a 1 in 14 twist??

• Advertisement

its 1in 9 the rifle im looking at in 223 i was reading the listings wrong,what 22-250 is 1 in 14.so whats the best grain in a 1in9 twist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

1in9 will shoot anything up to 75grn quite happily ;) well mine does

It will shoot anything from 40gr up to 75gr.
    What rifle are you looking at?

ruger m77 allweather is the rifle,not bad i was thinking id be limited with ammo types if it was 1in14

I have no experience with ruger rifles but they look a lovely rifle.
    I have a cz with 1:9 twist.

The twist will give the maximum weight to shoot so the 1:14 is quite limited as the maximum is 55gr but with the 1:9 the max is around 75gr.

Some rifles with a 1:9 will shoot rounds under that but might not be accurate.
    Say the CZ in 1:9 shoots 40gr V-max up to the 75gr BTHP but some rifles might only work best form 50gr up to 75gr. It just depends with the rifle and some testing to see what goes well in it. 55gr V-max seems to go well in nearly all rifles as far as I can see or have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

thats what i shoot with it'll shoot anything from cheap 45grn stuff right up to 75grn target stuff i have not tried anything heavier
    be warned the trigger is orrible on those i stuck a timmney trigger in mine transformed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Strange :confused:

my cz 1 in 9" doesn't like 75gr at all, up to 69gr is the most I'll feed it.

yeah i noticed the trigger was heavy,it will be my 1st centrefire rifle,ilike it as its light and short,will be nice for the carrying round the fields

would it be easy to put a mod on the skinny barrel on the ruger?the thing i liked was its compactness didnt want make it longer.Will the mod on a .223 reduce the noise significantly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

would it be easy to put a mod on the skinny barrel on the ruger?the thing i liked was its compactness didnt want make it longer.Will the mod on a .223 reduce the noise significantly?

You may need an adapter for a skinny Ruger, threads barrel to mod

No big deal for a Gunsmith.

The .223 is .22lr Hyper Velocity noise levels with mod on

• Advertisement

how does the adapter work?the barrel is like a pencil its that skinny!how do you find it accuracy wise before you changed the stock landkeeper?

how does the adapter work?the barrel is like a pencil its that skinny!how do you find it accuracy wise before you changed the stock landkeeper?

Did you ever see an adapter to link two dismilar pipes together ?

Your barrel say is 10mm wide, 5.56mm hollow and 4mm wall.

You get the wall threaded , you get a piece of steel to mate with your barrel and has external threads that the mod screws on to

Similar to pic I have linked
    152618.png

what are the reflex mods like they say they sleeve down over the barrel,there still threaded on but are they a better job for handling etc of the gun as the wont add to much lenght?

what are the reflex mods like they say they sleeve down over the barrel,there still threaded on but are they a better job for handling etc of the gun as the wont add to much lenght?

Reflex are prob the quietest mod, but are steel so You must regularly spray with WD40.

With an adapter any mod will fit your rifle.
    Reflex being the cheapest, but biggest.

i was just thinking a monster mod hanging on the end of the skinny barrel would look silly and make the rifle feel awkward from pics iv seen the reflex looks like a neater job for it will it sleeve over barrels of any diameter?

i was just thinking a monster mod hanging on the end of the skinny barrel would look silly and make the rifle feel awkward from pics iv seen the reflex looks like a neater job for it will it sleeve over barrels of any diameter?

If you can affords it a Roedale is much neater, or an ASE ULTRA

having a look at them there now,but do they not all screw onto the very tip of the barrel?whereas a reflex gos over the barrel?

having a look at them there now,but do they not all screw onto the very tip of the barrel?whereas a reflex gos over the barrel?

Still the same length

ASE Ultra S5 is ~" long
    Reflex~ 8" long with 4.5" over barrel

i see what you mean tack,any idea of price diff?

• Advertisement

i see what you mean tack,any idea of price diff?

Reflex €260 new
    ASE up to €380 new

Advertisement