Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home printing grainy

• 19-03-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Tried printing on my home printer tonight, a DX5000 epson inkjet - not the newest or best technology by any stretch. Using epson's premium glossy paper in 10cm x 15cm guise, and I thought I had all the options at max, but the print is a bit grainy, certainly a lot grainer than I thought it would be.

Now, I've been skimping on inks up to now as this printer is normally only used for home documents, so generic inks (don't tell anyone) in it at the moment. I would have thought though that that would be more of a colour quality issue rather than graininess - am I wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter what ink or paper you're using - the quality you are going to get from a relatively cheap home printer is never going to be great for photographs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Can you take a digital photo of the printed photo.preferably fairly close, so we can see this graininess of which you speak?

It wouldn't hurt to make the file you printed from available for analysis too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Heebie, yeah, will try take a pic this evening.

Starbelgrade, I thought someone might say that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

Some of the cheap epsons will produce great results for colour prints using decent paper and epson inks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hi again - sorry for the late reply:

9CF1E08AE91749718FC239CCC02175F0-0000334828-0002233790-00800L-5B533088B04841FE9AAC377A674977CF.jpg

THis is a pic of the pic I printed.

This is the pic:
    8E12EC2973C644DF9FD5DC53544EF557-0000334828-0002223483-00800L-D9A0C5C701F54826B5D1FB88981D6B6E.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Is that the status in the roundabout on the south side of the N7 at The Curragh?

This looks like a color profile issue to me.. what is your "working space" set to in Photoshop. (This is in different menus depending on whether you're in Windows or MacOS.. so I don't know exactly where you'll find it.)

If I'm right.. you're probably using Adobe RGB as your working color space, and not converting to sRGB (or even better a color profile specific to hte printer) before printing. (The results would be more drastic if you were using Kodak Pro Photo for your working color space.)

There are at least 2 other threads with explanations in much greater detail on this.

It's also very dark.. which makes me think that you're using a flat-panel display with the brightnesss turned up really high. You might want to get something to generate a color profile for the monitor.

Advertisement