Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capacitors - Where are they used?

Options
  • 19-03-2011 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

Need to do an assignment for college, and I have to do it on a device where one is used. I know they're used in cameras for the flash but where else are they used and any sites to help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

They're used for, among other things, starting single phase motors, for power factor correction and for discharge lighting. Google these terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PC Motherboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

They are used among other things for energy storage, not unlike a battery. They can be charged and discharged very quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You can use a capacitor in series with a resistor to create a filter. You'd use these in Audio crossovers. Capacitors are also used to smooth out voltage supply - a lot of high end modified car audio systems will have a large 1F power capacitor to allow the battery to deliver voltage to a system which would otherwise be overwhelmed by the drain due to the speakers/amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

they are also used in CRT type TV's and UPS systems.

If they are not discharged properly when these products are opened for service they can be lethal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A common industrial use for them is in whats known as power factor correction in commercial and industrial installations which has the effect of reducing the current in circuits which have a bad power factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Also commonly used across for suppressing interferance (RFI)

Advertisement