Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

• 19-03-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Since people ignored my first thread i'll try this again, i was hoping somebody would give me a few of the steps that led to the partition of ulster in the 1920s. If I am able to help you in return, i will be glad to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Skyrim wrote: »
    Since people ignored my first thread i'll try this again, i was hoping somebody would give me a few of the steps that led to the partition of ulster in the 1920s. If I am able to help you in return, i will be glad to.

Easier said than done OP.
    There are a number of reasons, I'll just skim over.
    The English under Lloyd George needed to resolve 'The Irish Question' which had been continuing for centuries, it heated up quickly during the early 20th century with the Rising and the War of Independence.
    The Act came about too as partition due to the Unionists and Nationalists not being able to 'settle'. They could not reach an agreement over what to do so partition was implemented.
    As well as this, the English were looking to contain the violence that was in Ireland at the time, it could have easily spread across the land northwards.
    The Nationalists wanted Ireland free, the Unionists wanted to stay in Ireland and maintain the relationship with Britain. It's a little known fact that the Unionists relented to the six counties (albeit with some gerrymandering) and settled to what they got.

Hope it helps, if not, I've refreshed my Irish history. Open a book next time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Thanks and i appreciate you replying.

Advertisement