Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some not so sandy beaches

Options
  • 19-03-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a beach in South Dublin with a mixture of sand and shingle. I am teaching a class on coastal deposition and want to get a few samples to have. I was think about heading out around Sandymount but I havent been there in years and if I remember if the tide goes out theres generally only fine sand along the beach and not too many pebbles.

Anyone have any other places to recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There's Killiney beach

killiney-beach.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Killiney beach has everything you need, sand, shingle, rivers, cliff erosion, train station to get there, coastal defences, and noticeable erosion processes.

I'd advise going south from the train station 300-400 metres to get a good area, that where we went all those years ago for a geography field trip on the subject.

EDIT: Killiney beach is erosion based rather than deposition though, I can't remember the exact term but the beach is constantly moving north up the bay, the can easily be seen if you look at the curves on the rivers. The council re-dig them straight every so often and the slowly bow northwards until it gets so bad that a large area becomes flooded and needs to be fixed again. Its all very interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thanks. Went out to Killiney. Didn't know it had Gabions on the beach. A nice surprise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Also there's a little cave there I seem to remember.

A teacher did a similar trip with us in TY. Also included Kiliney hill. A nice day out for kids!

Advertisement