Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking a light circuit !

Options
  • 19-03-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Long story short I had reason to drill through an internal wall to run some piping. After it was done I went to switch on the main room light but it didnt work and I cant be sure it was working before I started drilling . So after checking the obvious I removed the switch from the wall and checked for live but could only get 42 V. As the wires were not coloured I removed each from the switch and tested against a good earth and I had 230 V on one wire. So i guess my question is if I stupidly cut or somehow disconnected or disrupted the switched live feed on a looped lighting circuit would my volt meter show 42 V when placed in line.
    Any responses greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Can you confirm, are you checking the voltage across the wires at the switch?

As a matter of interest, have you checked the bulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I assume from your test that you have a multimeter. If you didn't connect one of the probes to earth you might get a reading of 42V. Can't you just kill the power and test continuity between the switch wire and the terminals at your ceiling rose?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Avns1s wrote: »
    Can you confirm, are you checking the voltage across the wires at the switch?

As a matter of interest, have you checked the bulb?

Yep checking wires at switch 42 V . The lamp in question has four bulbs
    i suppose unlikely they all blew together

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I assume from your test that you have a multimeter. If you didn't connect one of the probes to earth you might get a reading of 42V. Can't you just kill the power and test continuity between the switch wire and the terminals at your ceiling rose?

That was my plan for tomorrow in daylight !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Did you drill through right above the switch? If so, its likely you have went through the wiring alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement