Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved in keeping a rabbit?

• 19-03-2011 11:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've always wanted a rabbit. However, I'm not going to go and get a rabbit until I know what's involved in keeping a healthy bunny - if I keep a pet, I try to keep it in the best possible condition I can :)

Can a rabbit be kept outside?
    Do they need to be kept in pairs?
    If so, could I keep two females unneutered, or should I get male and female (neutered)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

They should be kept in pairs and neutered: helps prevent a lot of cancers and problems, even if they're kept in same sex pairs.

I'd personally never keep a pet outside, but can't comment if it's okay or not, as I'm not familiar with the needs of rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sarahw7

Hi Silverfish,

Rabbits are great pets, I have a three year old lop-earred rabbit and wouldn't trade him for the world. He has a hutch outside in the garden but gets moved into my bathroom when the temperature drops too low, I'm sure he'd probably be fine outside but I wouldn't like to chance it! He gets vaccinations once a year and they cost about €30, other than that I don't have any other vet costs. I feed him twice a day - dry food, hay, water and fresh vegetables. It's possible to litter train rabbits, so cleaning his hutch is pretty easy and having him in the house isn't a problem. He has been handled since he was very young so he is very tame and will jump up on my lap and is really friendly.

I would definitely recommend getting a pair of rabbits, I really regret not doing that and am only now thinking of neutering my little guy and getting him a pal. I'm not so sure about the best mix in terms of pals, I've heard lots of different views.

I hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Can a rabbit be kept outside? - Yep, they don't mind the cold but should have shade on a hot day.

Do they need to be kept in pairs? - They're much happier with bunny company :) The best pairing is meant to be a male and female, but any pairing can work.

If so, could I keep two females unneutered, or should I get male and female (neutered)? - You can sometimes keep two unneutered females together (I have 2 females together right now, cos I breed rabbits so can't neuter them, I kept four females together all winter with no problems) but they might fight and from January to September they'll want to mate all the time so will keep mounting each other, which must be annoying for them. And they're generally friendlier and less moody if they're neutered. And also females are really likely to get uterine cancer by the time they're 4 years or so, so it's best to neuter them. I'm going to get all mine neutered at about 3.

They don't need a lot of attention like a dog, but they do need attention. They don't need or like to be picked up but you could sit in their run and feed them veggies and let them come over to you. My ones that I've had since babies will hop onto my lap and let me groom them and all :) My ones I got when they were grown up, will just come over and sniff my hand, and they let me pet them but they sometimes hop away.

The main thing is, they need more space than most people think. I'd say something like 6'X2' hutch and attached 6'X4' run, or even a small shed with run attached would be great for two, but the bigger the better. Or an aviary would be better than a run cos you can walk into it, if you want to go all out. Or a run that opens at the top so you can sit in it, cos that's the easiest way to interact with them. If you have a totally secure garden you could let them run around for a while supervised too, or bring them into the house to play.

Check out zooplus.ie for hutches and runs, and try ebay too but they're kinda expensive so a 6'X4' shed would maybe be cheaper.

They need hay all the time, a small amount of dry food and green leafy veg, and other veg as treats.

And I'm sure you know already, but it's best not to buy them from a pet shop, because they migth be missexed, pregnant, sick, etc :)

You can easily litter train them, which makes it really easy to clean them out and you can do it every day, it takes 2 minutes and they have nice clean hutches :)

I think they're great pets, they're quiet and calm, but still friendly and interesting to watch. The more you put into them the more you get back. The more attention you give them the friendlier they are, and the more space they have the most interesting they are.

Advertisement