Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older house/wall construction

• 20-03-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

hi all
    I was recently demolishing an exterior wall in an old terraced house ..similar to many in towns and village centres throughtout rural Ireland.
    Probably built 1890s-1900s.(maybe earlier)
    It was some job as the walls were up to 3 feet thick in places.
    Within the outside concrete I found boulders up to 2 feet in circumference ..massive, could not believe it, (they knew how build houses back then)

My question is does any one know have info/plans on how these houses were built back then.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

This Haynes manual might be useful. To think I used to believe they were only for cars and motorbikes!

(the architect's discussion forum on archiseek might be more useful though.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I know a bit but not an expert. The 2 foot boulders were true stones and you will also here them called weeping stones. http://www.buildinglimesforumireland.com/ This is a good web site on this issue and welcome to the wonderful World of real buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

I know a bit but not an expert. The 2 foot boulders were true stones and you will also here them called weeping stones. http://www.buildinglimesforumireland.com/ This is a good web site on this issue and welcome to the wonderful World of real buildings.

Some great info there thanks a lot. i am not a mason or blocklayer by trade but have an interest in how things were built back in the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I have been working with lime for years now and love every job. There is no way I am nearly as good as the trades people back in the day. All the old coving was done on site with lime plaster and it is just unreal to examine. The old stone work with cut stones that had to be cut with chisels and probably a bad hammer and they fitting exactly in place. I go mad when I see a bad job done and an idiot saying he wanted the ""old look"" (and it a crooked as the back leg of a dog). It also annoys me to see eye sores that are called stone walls in front of houses. I could go on but I might be banned for a rant. Old buildings is a different world than the present day methods.

Advertisement