Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Terry reinstated as permanent English captain.

• 20-03-2011 12:09am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just seen it on bbc now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Capello in going back on his word shocker. The man's a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Retire from internationals already Rio please. The rest I'm not bothered about. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Paully D wrote: »
    Capello in going back on his word shocker. The man's a joke!

Did he say he would never be captain again at the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Terrible decision imo,

I'd be tempted to give the captains armband to Joe Hart, but really terrible decision re Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

not surprised. wait till it blows over after most people forget about it. if england win next game everything will be forgotten as most football fans have a short memory

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not too bothered really - the england international team are never too far away from a joke to be fair. Decisions like that just adds to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Did he say he would never be captain again at the time ?

On 27th Feb 2010, Fabio Capello said;
    Until the World Cup, John Terry will not be the captain again," said Capello. "After the World Cup? If I remain as England manager? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Who cares about the captaincy anyway? It's just an English media fallacy. Not wearing the armband dosen't stop Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard etc. S
    showing their leadership qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Capello said on Saturday:
    "After one year of punishment, Terry will again be the permanent captain. I think one year's punishment is enough."

He didnt do anything on the pitch or on England duty so punishment was never an issue but rather the suitablity of him as a captain. Hopefully it will bring back his cocky old self just in time to volunteer to take a peno in the CL QF's!!! Wonder if the rags have some more material up their sleeve!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12016_6824097,00.html

Massive boost for him ahead of the game tomorrow.

On the other hand, as a Chelsea fan I would rather he was not the English captain cause there is nothing surer than a good ol media witch hunt.

Hopefully he has the kop on to keep his private life in order this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

He's a leader, although he's a cheater.....and a crybaby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12016_6824097,00.html

Massive boost for him ahead of the game tomorrow.

On the other hand, as a Chelsea fan I would rather he was not the English captain cause there is nothing surer than a good ol media witch hunt.

Hopefully he has the kop on to keep his private life in order this time.

It's usually the other way around. England captain gets away with everything.

Just to emphasize the cry baby bit... :p

john-terry.jpg

TheTownie wrote: »
    Just to emphasize the cry baby bit... :p

john-terry.jpg

We will see a smile on that face come 10 bells on the 12th of April :D

We will see a smile on that face come 10 bells on the 12th of April :D

Wouldn't you have a smile on your face during the warm up if this was you!

CY16413721Englands-Frank-La.jpg

After full time though is a different story... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Rio Obviously not up to the Job of being a Leader!!! Oh Well.....

superfrank wrote: »
    Rio Obviously not up to the Job of being a Leader!!! Oh Well.....

Always seems to be injured , and refused to me Fabio on Wednesday night at Old Trafford , Id say thats the real reason Terry has been made permanent captain , Rio threw the toys out of the pram.

Its not like he would of been to busy to spare a few minutes for his national team coach, Id say thats the end of him for England now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Joke!! Why make the decision if you're gonna backtrack?? It's just really really stupid.

Capello is getting caught up in another English obsession. It's not important or relevent who the captain of England is.

All it is is saying heads or tails. The fact that Beckham can be captain of his country pretty much sums up it's relevence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

A silly populous decision from a weak media led manager in the first place. Capello now has no credibility.
    Jt was the right man for the job and that shouldn't have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A silly populous decision from a weak media led manager in the first place. Capello now has no credibility.

Disagree! He rode a teammate's bird. I wouldn't want to know or respect the c*nt after that. As far i would be concerned, he should just shut the f*ck up and play football.

Capello made a decision to take the armband off him, once he made that decision, he should have stuck to it.

Terry is still the same person and the same player!!

• Advertisement

Capello's credibility as England manager disappeared a long, long time ago mate.

I thought he'd be the one to change all that was wrong with the England national team, but he's just as spineless as the rest. He came in with his statements such as ''I don't care who players play for or who they are if they're not playing well they won't be picked'', ''I'll always pick players who are in form'', blah blah blah, but that didn't last long.

He also seems to have a fantastic ability to only understand English questions when they're one's he wants to answer. As I said, he's spineless.

A fantastic club manager, of that there's no doubt. However, he just isn't able to handle the job he currently holds.

He should have been sacked straight after the World Cup, but that would have been a logical thing to do so there's no chance The FA would have done that.

The FA and Capello are a match made in heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Donkey Rio in a huff:) SSNews reporting that he refused to meet Capello at OT last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Capello has changed his mind about a decision he made a year ago. Anyone that thinks he has "lost all credibility" or is "a joke" because of this decision is definitely reading too many tabloid newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

whats the obsession in england with the captaincy. it means nothin i cudnt tell u whose captain of ireland(ok its keane) but it hardly matters who it is

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Capello has changed his mind about a decision he made a year ago. Anyone that thinks he has "lost all credibility" or is "a joke" because of this decision is definitely reading too many tabloid newspapers.

I've never been a fan of Capello as England manager and never will be.

This decision just adds to the many reasons why he's a joke as England manager and has lost even more credibility, if that was even possible.

I've never liked Capello's man management skills, I think the man is simply an idiot when it comes to dealing with off the pitch issues.

When he was at Real Madrid, he said at a press conference that Beckham would never play for the club again because he signed a contract with Galaxy. He later had to back track on this.

Then as England manager, he basically retires Beckham in an interview with a reporter by stating that his England career is over. All this without speaking to Beckham first! Unbelievable stuff. He has to back track on this too and apologize.

And now the captaincy. He wants to bring Terry back as captain because Rio is injured alot and Terry is a born leader anyway. Fair enough, but the first thing you've got to do is ring Rio and have a conversation with him and let him know where he stands and listen to his thoughts on the matter. You do NOT mention it to the media first and then tell them that you plan on meeting up with him about it. Obviously Rio is going to get pissed off over this stupid behaviour. (Not that it matters on the pitch who the captain is, but it's still important to treat your players fairly and with respect, it's a great privilege to be captain of your country, if nothing else)

Great tactician, great manager but he has the most woeful man management skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John Terry is a real leader on the pitch and its a good decision to make him England Captain again imo.

Talk all you want about off the field issues but when you are in the middle of a big game you want a guy wearing that armband whose performance won't be affected negatively by the pressure of it. Its a big deal with the english media and John Terry has proven time and time again that he can handle it.

Its simply a football decision but people love to make it out that its a whole lot more than that. You guys that do this are the ones that read the rags and believe what they have to say all the time.

Capello should be criticised for taking the armband off him in the first place. He should have had the balls to tell the FA to feck off then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Hopefully Rio will retire from internationals now.

Tbf, Ferdinand is a sicknote.

His replacement is :o

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    John Terry is a real leader on the pitch and its a good decision to make him England Captain again imo.

Talk all you want about off the field issues but when you are in the middle of a big game you want a guy wearing that armband whose performance won't be affected negatively by the pressure of it. Its a big deal with the english media and John Terry has proven time and time again that he can handle it.

Its simply a football decision but people love to make it out that its a whole lot more than that. You guys that do this are the ones that read the rags and believe what they have to say all the time.

Capello should be criticised for taking the armband off him in the first place. He should have had the balls to tell the FA to feck off then.

Let's put this into perspective here.

HE WAS FUCKING HIS TEAMMATE'S BIRD WHILE HE WAS MARRIED WITH TWO KIDS.

I don't know if you can grasp the fact that as captain, you are supposed to have the respect of your teammates, you are supposed to be a role model for young kids etc.

Now you tell me how he can be respected in that dressing room after what he did without sprouting a load of rubbish ''great leader''...''able to deal with pressure''....

And don't dare try to tell me that off the field issues don't matter because that's bull****, he wouldn't have stripped him of the captaincy in the first place if that was the case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

+100 soccer4life

^
    And Rio is a saint eh?

Or Rooney?

And Gerrard too (before I'm accused of a bias)

No saints there

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ^
    And Rio is a saint eh?

Or Rooney?

And Gerrard too (before I'm accused of a bias)

No saints there

No, they have all had their personal problems, but none of them fucked their teammates girlfriend.

The thing is, there is a line.

And John Terry crossed that line, and then some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I don't know if you can grasp the fact that as captain, you are supposed to have the respect of your teammates, you are supposed to be a role model for young kids etc.

Now you tell me how he can be respected in that dressing room after what he did without sprouting a load of rubbish ''great leader''...''able to deal with pressure''....

And don't dare try to tell me that off the field issues don't matter because that's bull****, he wouldn't have stripped him of the captaincy in the first place if that was the case.

Jaysus, no need to take it so personally,
    From what I can see none of the english players seem to care about his antics, they all seem to still be mates with him, so bearing that in mind it should not make a difference. I think its a good decision tbh as he is the best captain.
    As a chelsea fan I wish jt, lamps and cole would retire so they would not be involved in this circus tbh.

No, they have all had their personal problems, but none of them fucked their teammates girlfriend.

I'm his worlds least fan and it was a horrible act without question but...

But so is banging hookers while your wife is pregnant.

Or gettng into a fght in a pub.

Or "missing" a drug test

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You seem to have real strong personal feelings about doing it outside of marriage. As for making a move on a colleagues gf, well its not nice but I know plenty of guys who have done that over the years and it never affected their promotional prospects. Of course it wasn't spread all over the newspapers.

May I ask you, not that I'm saying that this is the way it happened either but, if some extremely hot chick told you she wanted it would you turn her down?

Monogamy: lol imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

And you know this is true - yeah??

Total non-brainer this..... just suprised Capello was so weak to bow to the media outrage before the WC. But of course Englands campaign tells us all we need to know about the wisdom of the decision made then. He is Far and away the obvious leader for that team, though as a Chelsea fan, i like Museist before me would have rathered he pull out of the England team along with Cole and Lampard, who have borne the brunt of all criticism thrown at the Engerland team by media and fans.But the fact that Capello has finally seen sense (even if sicknote deputies have pushed that along) I'm sure JT will be delighted and I'm pleased to know that so many England football writers and Fans will be horrified. They hung the guy out for something that was never proven, and as ongoing litigation would suggest was probably NOT TRUE. Tough Guys!!! Englands got its captain back!!And how sweet is it that the petty misguided boys from 'team Bridge' turn up at Stamford bridge tomorrow. Lets hear it for JT.....One England Captain! - There's only one England Captain!!!

You seem to have real strong personal feelings about doing it outside of marriage. As for making a move on a colleagues gf, well its not nice but I know plenty of guys who have done that over the years and it never affected their promotional prospects. Of course it wasn't spread all over the newspapers.

I think most people would strong feelings against someone that has an affair when they are married with two kids. It shouldn't happen. But having the affair with your teammates gf is crossing the line, as I've said.

May I ask you, not that I'm saying that this is the way it happened either but, if some extremely hot chick told you she wanted it would you turn her down?

If I was married with two young kids then yeah I would turn her down, no questions, but I don't see how this is relevant.
    And you know this is true - yeah??

Every man and his dog know about it kid, do keep up with current affairs.

I think most people would strong feelings against someone that has an affair when they are married with two kids. It shouldn't happen. But having the affair with your teammates gf is crossing the line, as I've said.

If I was married with two young kids then yeah I would turn her down, no questions, but I don't see how this is relevant.

Every man and his dog know about it kid, do keep up with current affairs.

You patronising git! I think you'll find that the informed 'man and his dog' got their information from tabloids. I (and i'm no kid!) wait for something a little more solid before I wade in!!

• Advertisement

Total non-brainer this..... just suprised Capello was so weak to bow to the media outrage before the WC. But of course Englands campaign tells us all we need to know about the wisdom of the decision made then. He is Far and away the obvious leader for that team, though as a Chelsea fan, i like Museist before me would have rathered he pull out of the England team along with Cole and Lampard, who have borne the brunt of all criticism thrown at the Engerland team by media and fans.But the fact that Capello has finally seen sense (even if sicknote deputies have pushed that along) I'm sure JT will be delighted and I'm pleased to know that so many England football writers and Fans will be horrified.They hung the guy out for something that was never proven, and as ongoing litigation would suggest was probably NOT TRUE. Tough Guys!!! Englands got its captain back!!And how sweet is it that the petty misguided boys from 'team Bridge' turn up at Stamford bridge tomorrow. Lets hear it for JT.....One England Captain! - There's only one England Captain!!!

Oh Holy Mother of God. That's a good one.

Funniest conspiracy theory I've heard since David Irving claimed the Holocaust never happened.

I suspect the Daily Mail amongst others would not be paying compensation and issuing apologies if this was 'a conspiracy theory'!! Tabloid nonsense .... but they have their target audience!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Oh Holy Mother of God. That's a good one.

Funniest conspiracy theory I've heard since David Irving claimed the Holocaust never happened.

lolocaust

Night Night - dont you have school in the morning? - oh no - tomorrows Sunday! Super sunday C'mon The Blues!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I will never back Terry, in fact, I hate the man, and every time I see the pictures of him crying in Moscow after the final, it puts a smile on my face.

But what happens off the pitch, shouldn't reflect what happens on it, terry is a leader, who cares what happens off the pitch.

I will never back Terry, in fact, I hate the man, and every time I see the pictures of him crying in Moscow after the final, it puts a smile on my face.

But what happens off the pitch, shouldn't reflect what happens on it, terry is a leader, who cares what happens off the pitch.

Fair enough .... thankfully he's lifted plenty of trophies since, and roll on May 28th!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Eh, you obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Team Terry is out in force tonight, lads.
    (Admittedly, a small team.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Sick of all this talk already. Its a minor role in the team the captain in my opinion and won't upset matters much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

2 Problems for England.

1 - The Captaincy Issue

2 - The team aren't good enough.

2 >> 1

• Advertisement
Advertisement