Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome related con?

• 20-03-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I guess prevention is the best form of defence. Mod feel free to move/close.

After clicking an innocent enough looking link on the first page of a google search I got a message onscreen
    (update62.longnow.cz.cc says...) Google chrome has found critical process activity on your system and will preform a virus scan.

"Scan" begins

Onscreen message claims you have numerous viruses and that google recommends you download a program to alleviate it.

You click ok and a download box opens, you click cancel, a download box opens, the important thing is it seems to rely on the user to ok the download, so you can just say no, or at least I hope for my sake it does because I've been nosing at the site for a while now as I warn people about it. Oh, also, its downloading Windows System Defender. So I'm assuming that is the virus by that name and it is, Ironically enough, scare tactics enabling scare tactics.

The site:
    29le4cw.jpg
    They did a good job didn't they? I almost believed it myself...
    Question for those who know better, do you think something attached to my browser or the site I tried to enter triggered the redirect, the initial site does seem to exist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It's not a virus. It's just a webpage trying to fool you and maybe the original page was hacked to redirect you. Why not use adblock (google it) for chrome to block on screen ads? If you didn't click any (scans) then you're probably fine although if you're worried download malware bytes and run a scan. What AV have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I know the website isn't a virus, I know its a con, hence the title.

I have adblocker, as you will note this isn't an ad. Malwarebytes says I'm fine.

Talking to a few people today there seems to have been an explosion of these cons recently, a revisit to this particular page shows that google have clamped down on it, but there's hundreds more like it. Just figured I'd give a heads up so someone else doesn't wind up actually downloading the damn thing.

Advertisement