Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours cut for the last 3 weeks

Options
  • 20-03-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey, so I'm on a 44 hour a week contract with my job. Started just about 6 months ago. Never once have I gotten 44 hours, the most I've gotten is 37 once or twice. THe contract does say that hours can be changed/reduced as necessary, which I'm fine with.

However, for the last 3 weeks, I've had my hours dramatically cut. One week I had 3 days (19 hours), another week I had 4 days and this week I again have only 3 days.

I've requested more hours a few times but am not being given them. Other people have had their hours cut too, but not as much as I have and a lot of people still have 5/6 days each week. Most of the people who have been cut have been cut to 4 days, but I'm only getting 3.

Is there anything I can do about this? At this rate, I'm actually better off on the dole but I don't want to be on the dole!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

1st - go to the social welfare office and see if you can claim for the day you dont work. If you work a full week you wont get paid but atleast if you don't get the full week you get something in the end when a payment comes through.

You would be claiming JSB or JSA for the days not worked as you are looking for work on those days. Bring in your contract to the sw office to show you should be getting full time work.

A contract is supposed to have a minimum number of hours not a maximum number.

See here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/contract_of_employment.html

The Terms of Employment (Information) Acts 1994 and 2001 provide that an employer is obliged to provide an employee with a written statement of terms of employment within the first two months of the commencement of employment.

The statement of terms must include the following information:

The full name of employer and employee
    The address of the employer
    The place of work
    The title of job or nature of work
    The date the employment started
    If the contract is temporary, the expected duration of the contract
    If the contract of employment is for a fixed term, the details
    Details of rest periods and breaks as required by law
    *The rate of pay or method of calculation of pay
    The pay reference period for the purposes of the National Minimum Wage Act 2000
    *Pay intervals
    *Hours of work
    *That the employee has the right to ask the employer for a written statement of his/her average hourly rate of pay as provided for in the National Minimum Wage Act 2000
    *Details of paid leave
    *Sick pay and pension (if any)
    *Period of notice to be given by employer or employee

Have you been given any reason for the lack of hours?

Have the company let anyone go in the last year?

Do you have the same contract as the others, as in does their say 45hrs per week too?

I would claim for the days not worked and keep telling you boss you are available for the hours on your contract.

In the end, you can either go see the citzens info office or pester your boss for the full weeks work or look for another job. Good Luck either way.

Advertisement