Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop screen green and fuzzy

• 20-03-2011 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Turned on my laptop (Dell Studio 1555) and I was met with green everywhere there was previously black.

I can run windows and work on the computer, but I now have extremely (extremely) bright fuzzy green, pink & purple colours instead of the regular colour palette.

I have hooked it up to my tv with a HDMI cable and the picture looks perfect on that.

Was hoping somebody could enlighten me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Try reinstalling the vga driver first to rule that out

Google seems to suggest this alot

http://www.1-script.com/forums/Dell-D600-screen-went-green-article45366--25.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'd put money on a failing graphics card. Is it still under warranty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

My warranty ended about six months ago unfortunately.

Did reinstalling the driver not work? At the very least make sure you've backed up your important data. You maybe able to connect an external monitor to view the screen properly. If it's a failing graphics card then it's going to need a new motherboard probably as Dell usually have the graphics card welded to the mother board. A few years back it cost me 300 euro for a new mother board from dell including labour. I got a 6 month warranty on the new part and it failed after 1 year. Think strongly about a new PC over a repair if it is a failing graphics card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you can see it ok on an external monitor then your lcd is knackered
    your only choices are use it connected to a monitor, get it replaced (very expensive) or time for a new laptop

just to be sure restart your pc and on bootup hit f12 and run the diagnostics option
    it will start to run memory tests and after that it will boot into a proper diagnostics program
    go to custom tests and run the ones for the screen to see if it comes back with any errors
    you should have this also on a disk that came with the laptop to skip the memory test

• Advertisement

If i were you i'd get a new laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dbentham

It's sure to be either the internal ribbon cable that connects the 'top half' of the laptop with the 'bottom half' *OR* the LCD itself.
    If the latter, it's about EUR100 for a new panel and either part can be fitted in 20-30 minutes by somebody who knows what they're at.

The only way to help narrow-down the problem is by dismantling the 'top' of the laptop for closer inspection and before buying any parts, the ribbon cable should be re-seated as a first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

My brother carefully disassembled and reassembled it for me.

Works perfectly now.

Must have been a loose connection somewhere.

Basically dismantled the laptop to reach the cable at the top of the screen.

Similar to this:

http://www.1-script.com/forums/Dell-D600-screen-went-green-article45366--25.htm

Followed the dell manuals throughout.

Advertisement