Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

band shoot (C+C)

• 20-03-2011 4:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Did a shoot with this band during the summer. Got a call to do another one since they had a name/man change.

The setup was 2 alienbee strobes with a softbox/beauty dish. Black and white fuji acros 100 medium format film.

Very happy with how they came out.. especially these black and white ones.

Id like some comments on the lighting really as when im doing it.. I think it looks good but maybe someone who knows more than me, knows im doing something wrong?

5541276875_582ae16850_z.jpg

5541276595_4752083386_z.jpg

5541277167_26299d75c8_z.jpg

5541277005_03e2233a7b_z.jpg

5541300401_8fe73f1dfd_z.jpg

Some colour shots on flickr.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

iv never done band shots or anything but the microphone thats half missing is really annoying me and i find it distracting...there fantastic photos and turned out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Nice shots, but there's too many shadows for my liking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Just think they're a little cluttered... and lose the mic on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

iv never done band shots or anything but the microphone thats half missing is really annoying me and i find it distracting...there fantastic photos and turned out well

Yeah the mic is a little distracting ill admit but it was a thing where they wanted it all in. It really didnt look bad when I was shooting only when I scanned it up onto the computer did it really stick out.

The tightness they wanted.. Without themselves being too close.
    colblimp wrote: »
    Nice shots, but there's too many shadows for my liking...

Having too many shadows isn't a good thing?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Too much clutter as well I think.

• Advertisement

It's all very cluttered, I'd agree, but that's hardly a bad thing? Considering it's a shot for a band, you'd want it to show some personality would you not?

I'm not mad about the shadows on the back wall, but at the same time, they're a bit of a double edged sword I suppose. Getting rid of them with additional lighting, etc. could make the image a little more polished looking, but at the same time, they add a bit of a natural feel in my opinion (if there were no lights set up, I'd assume the main room light is in the middle of the room, so there'd normally be shadows against the walls).

The mic on the right is definitely distracting though. Annoyingly so, in my own opinion.

Out from that, I think they're a good series of shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

A bit too busy (=cluttered) and the contrast and tonality are weird. I cannot point exactly how or why, but the pictures just don't look pleasing. Sorry.
    Try different present for BW conversion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the lampshade is my issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The snooker table in the foreground and the lampshade are getting on my nerves, without them I reckon it'd look less cluttered and there wouldn't be so much attention drawn to the items around the band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i agree about the tones looking a little off, it's very flat looking. but for me, the main problem in the band shot is that you can't see any of their eyes. And for a portrait, you need to see peoples eyes to connect with them

i also don't love the square composition and the things like the mic and stand in the top picture and the curtains behind just detract from the images in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I just realised what the problem is for the flatness.. Its from shooting strobes at a white wall and using the burn tool to try and fix it. Im just looking at the original scans and they are super white. I've also done it on some of the lads as well.

Heres an original scan:

5547974895_7eb5521607_z.jpg

Edited:

5541855570_cc69d8ac41_z.jpg

Im glad you all mentioned that.

Advertisement