Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't me enough people in Melbourne. What is the best way to meet people here?

Options
  • 20-03-2011 6:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

I have been in Melbourne for 3 months now. At the start of my time here there was loads of people I was travelling with in New Zealand here for awhile, along with a friend from home who was here for 2 months. This was all great of course, especially considering I came here on my own so it was good to have people I knew here to start with, but probably didn't help me with regards meeting new people.

I have been finding it hard to make friends over here. When travelling south america and new zealand I met people so easy. I am very outgoing and I met so many likeminded people. But since settling down in Melbourne it was been completely different and have found it much harder to meet people.

I know a few locals and others here of course who I met when travelling but they all have their own lives, own group of friends etc. I tend to meet these people every now and again for drinks and a catch up but none of these people know any of the other people so I have been finding it hard to find an actual group of mates.

I moved into shared accomodation and live with 6 people so of course we all know each other, but for whatever reason I haven't got as close with some of them as I would have thought, and everybody is going their seperate ways over the next month anyway!

All the people I live with are either Australian or Swedish. I guess I have probably made it harder for myself than most Irish people, but I really didnt want to move into a massive house full of Irish people. If thats what people are into thats absolutely fine, but I wanted to try and mix with locals which is why I stayed away from the whole living with Irish people thing.

Where I am working, in a finance department, there is lots of people, but of such varying ages. I overhear lots of people talking about their kids and stuff so many of them aren't at the same stage of life as me (25 year old).

I have also joined an athletics club but again it is made up of people of different ages (anything from 10-70 really) and I haven't met a single person there who is particularly up for going for beers and that sort of thing.

I've met lots of people who are good to talk to dont get me wrong, just not making very many friends.

I love Melbourne and have had a great time but at times it can be frustrating not having a core group of friends here, like I have at home.

I guess had I moved into a long term hostel I would have made a core group of mates but I like having my own room and would hate to actually live long term in a hostel.

One girl I know lives in a hostel and told me to come down some evening when something is going on as plenty of people live their long term.

What other ideas have people got on how to meet more people? All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Warchild aka Lupton_Pittman

Circumstances create friends. Real friends. Look at war veterans, their best friends are other soldiers who shared extreme experiences with them. Plenty of people claim to have loads of "friends" but they are not real friends, just acquaintances. In this life you are lucky if you make 3 or 4 real friends. So don't worry if you dont make friends in Melbourne, its not you, just the circumstance. You cant plan friendship, if you dont click with someone you dont click, and all the friending on facebook in the world will make you two friends. So dont worry about it.

Alternatively you could be cynical and say its not them, its you...bla bla bla...why aren't you being more "cool" and "hip" on the street with those uber-trendy Melbourne cats? Maybe if you had the latest style of socks instead of those outdated ones you wear, people would think you were more "cool" and like you loads and invite you to parties with other "cool" people who congratulate eachother on how "cool" they are.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Where ya living? We'd love to have ya over to our next house party if you're finding it that tough to make friends. Theres 10 of us here. 10 lads, living just off Chapel Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

where ya based? im havein a session weekend after next, few Irish few ozzies few kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod More trolling and you are banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Try organise a boards beer melbourne! You might get some takers!

Also have you tried joining a GAA club? They have a good social life there.

otherwise have a look at a 'dating' site, but maybe look for friends only (?)

I've seen oasisactive.com being advertised on TV and is free ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 melbournebound

Hey,

There are a few of us (All Irish) living in Southbank, usually head out in the city/ chapel street on the weekends, always room for more Paddies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elfbourne

Hi.

We are in the same boat. Irish couple moved over here six months ago, met plenty of people but not alot of people we would like to meet a second time.
    Definatley finding it hard to make friends, I've lived overseas before and it was never this hard!
    Would like to meet up with people up for a laugh, good nights out and maybe doing stuff at weekends, ie. camping in summer, going to the footy, maybe even a bit of lawn bowls!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I have the same problem.. but recently I have hijacked a few "friends of friends" if we clicked,, just got there number and asked them out to the pub or whatever.. but you have to be proactive.. Im very outgoing but it takes a bit of work.. stick with it..

If you get on with people male/female whatever, just ask for there number and give them a text when your out again,. just kind of snowballs meeting more people all the time.. Like I met this girl I knew, her housemate, this bloke from Canada we were talking about surfing,, so Invited him down to the coast with some mates I was going down with.. no big deal..

See at home if you think about it, your mates are probably mainly from school/college/work or child hood friends.. its different getting new mates from scratch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

elfbourne wrote: »
    Hi.

We are in the same boat. Irish couple moved over here six months ago, met plenty of people but not alot of people we would like to meet a second time.
    Definatley finding it hard to make friends, I've lived overseas before and it was never this hard!
    Would like to meet up with people up for a laugh, good nights out and maybe doing stuff at weekends, ie. camping in summer, going to the footy, maybe even a bit of lawn bowls!!!

Elf ? Where is here Sydney ? Melbourne ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Zambia wtf are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 elfbourne

Melbourne!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dar_oz

My girlfriend and I are struggling to make friends in Melbourne. Our workplaces aren't great for making friends, and we don't know anyone from home over here. Its a lot tougher than we thought it would be thats for sure. If anyone is interested in meeting up for drink then PM us.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Hey guys. I'm living in Melbourne as well in Southbank with 2 other irish lads. We usually head out in ither the city most weekends. Thinking of going to the Carlton v Collingwood AFL match in the M.C.G next Friday. Could meet up for drinks after? If Interested PM me. More the merrier :).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

SURE, I CANT SAY NO TO A BEER!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

i dont know where me post went??

but if anyone fancies meeting for a pint the weekend after easter id be up for it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

you have a whole new thread mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

well they might have told me!! feeling slightly honoured tho :) (yes, it doesnt take much!)

Advertisement