Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBAMA coming to Cork

Options
  • 20-03-2011 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

and Blarney. Let's say my source is normally reliable and it seems like Obama will be coming to Cork for a flying visit passing through to Blarney.

Another post says he will visit UCC ~ I've no update on that. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Why would he go to UCC?:confused:
    Blarney I get, but I even think, depending on his length of stay, he may just stay in the leinster area. Co. Offaly and Dublin. If he does make it outside of Leinster I'd say it will be a whistle-stop tour of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Well it was in The Irish Times yesterday that he may be visiting Cork. Some of the reasons for him possibly visiting UCC are in that article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Good, hadn't read the times. ;)

^^^
    Fascinating. Had heard of the man, but never realised he had spent time in Ireland. Wonder why UCC has chosen to unvail a sculpture? Further investigating on google might come up with the answer, although, presumabley he spoke in UCC while there. It would be an amazing honour to have the first black president of the United States to unvail such a sculpture for the people of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or just more nob gobbling by UCC

• Advertisement

A link is Daniel O'Donnell's anti slavery campaign which some historians are putting as the beginning of a 'movement' for freedom.

Ok, so have done some investigations into the Douglass-Irish connections, really, really interesting. He really felt like an equal here. He stayed with a Protestant family in Cork for about 2 months in 1845/46. Reason being he wanted to understand what it was like for the family living in a predominantly Catholic Cork. Apparently, he travelled the country so extensively during his stay that he even managed to visit Cape Clear!

My question is though, did he really get a chance to speak in UCC as it was only founded he year he arrived? Would love to see he link if anyone knows. More than anything, would it not be more suitable to place the sculpture in a more public place rather than UCC grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Seriously though what do i have to do to meet Barack Obama? I love him, he is so charismatic. Do you think I will get to meet him?? And Michelle too. Big respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Well it was in The Irish Times yesterday that he may be visiting Cork. Some of the reasons for him possibly visiting UCC are in that article.

Thanks, was about to "link or GTFO"

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Daniel O'Donnell's anti-slavery movement??And there I was thinking he is simply a crooner 4 auld wans.Some man.U learn something new everyday.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    A link is Daniel O'Donnell's anti slavery campaign which some historians are putting as the beginning of a 'movement' for freedom.
    [Embedded Image Removed]
    Who knew he was such a revolutionary!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

trebormurf wrote: »
    Daniel O'Donnell's anti-slavery movement??And there I was thinking he is simply a crooner 4 auld wans.Some man.U learn something new everyday.

Obama's hero was/is Frederick Douglass. One of Douglass' heroes is O'Connell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

<Ollie> wrote: »

Should hop up to Belfast to see the murals of him then ;) Has the date for the unveiling been set or is it pending Obama's reply?

rebel10 wrote: »
    C Who knew he was such a revolutionary!!

OMG! Oi got the name wrong. Boy do I mess up!

Thanks.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Yes, I think he got which Daniel the poster was talking about, twas more the typo he was making light of.
    pow wow wrote: »
    Should hop up to Belfast to see the murals of him then ;) Has the date for the unveiling been set or is it pending Obama's reply?
    Saw some of the murals when I googled him, impressive to say the least. Such a pity that I was so ignorant up until today not knowing who the great man was.
    Think it is the last week in May, my mother is devastated cause she is going on her hols on the 21st and apparently he is coming around then, the day after the Queen leaves I think. Me thinks the reception will be a little more enthusiastic for the later visitor!
    gbee wrote: »
    OMG! Oi got the name wrong. Boy do I mess up!

Thanks.
    It made me laugh, that's all that matters!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Yes, I think he got which Daniel the poster was talking about, twas more the typo he was making light of.!

I only spotted the typo when I saw the pic of Daniel O'Donnell after I had replied. I have to slow down. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Seriously though what do i have to do to meet Barack Obama? I love him, he is so charismatic. Do you think I will get to meet him?? And Michelle too. Big respect.

1) Pay $100,000 to his lobbying collection agency

They carefuly monitor who is allowed to spend time with the President and who has time to influence him. Any conversation longer than 20 seconds in public or 10 in private has to be recorded and paid for. Lobbyists will cry foul if an unknown outsider suddenly gets to go for a pint with their beloved Mr. President without paying the extortionate sum they have to for the same privilege.

2) Be vetted by the FBI, house searched, family background checked

If you have ever done anything wrong at all and there is a record of it you can't get near him. If you posted on boards saying George Bush is a cunt or made a thread called "Recommend me a good Bittorrent client" you're out. If your neighbours or your colleagues have done stuff wrong you're out too.

If you called someone on the phone 5 years ago and said "Aren't the yanks a bankward ould bunch" forget about it.

3) Follow the script

They supply it. There are lads with MP5's and what have you in every corner for those who step out of line

Saw some of the murals when I googled him, impressive to say the least. Such a pity that I was so ignorant up until today not knowing who the great man was.

His book is well worth a read if you're ever at a loose end ;). I wrote my college thesis on him and O'Connell a few years ago so I'm potentially a wee bit biased but the book is a great account of the time.

I don't know if the 'George Bush: War Criminal' mural is still up on the Falls but I think a photo of Obama with that one might be almost as interesting as one with Douglass :D

His book is well worth a read if you're ever at a loose end ;). I wrote my college thesis on him and O'Connell a few years ago so I'm potentially a wee bit biased but the book is a great account of the time.
    I'm forever at a loose end!:D Yes, I will definately look out for it. Is this the one?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpJ9MzTl4Rtu5hcarOiOvwbANVUfci8QHLmfElQMBpCSDT9Zrz

Yep that's the one. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Yep that's the one. Enjoy!
    Yipee, was talking to a work colleague about him today, and funnily enough she has the book. Looking forward to reading it now. Thanks!:)

Advertisement