Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dun Loaghaire vs. Farther South

Options
  • 20-03-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi there,

We are a family of 4 with two kids (4 and 7) relocating to the area for work (Grand Docks area) and are considering Dun Loaghaire.

We are also considering Greystones, and I have put up a thread in that forum and got some great feedback.

I was wondering if anyone would like to take a stab at comparing the two. Greystones seems like a great option as we are craving easier access to nature and the seaside (we have been city slickers so far) but are a concerned that it might be a little far away from town and we may in the end miss some of the good parts of an urban lifestyle we have enjoyed.

Looking forward to any and all feedback!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Hi, il throw my two pence in for all its worth!

Grew up on the South Side, not far from Dun Laoghaire and if i was to move back up the Blackrock to Sandycove 'riviera':D would definitly be my place of choice, close to town, the seaside etc.

However i moved to Greystones about 5 years ago and i must say i never looked back, for quality of life its second to non, great village atmosphere and again has every facility imaginable to bring up a family. The downside to it may be the commute, i travel to Cherrywood by car every day and thats certainly managable but if i had to make it into the city every day i feel it would be quite a strain, however with the DART you always have the option of ditching the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

My personal choice would be greystones too. Quiet village living while only half an hour from connolly on the dart. No need to bring the car to work at all.

If I were to live in dun laoghaire, sandycove, glenageary or glasthule would be my choice but after greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be honest ,living in the Sandycove, Dalkey, Glenageary area would be quite similar to Greystones village, just closer to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

half an hour is pure rubbish. It's forty minutes from killiney to town. Also the dart to grey stones is far less frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

ted1 wrote: »
    half an hour is pure rubbish. It's forty minutes from killiney to town. Also the dart to grey stones is far less frequent.

During the rush hour commute it can be 40mins alright, but off peak it's only half an hour (give or take).

Personally I'd choose glasthule, but Greystones is a cracking location too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just checked the dart website and that DART taked 53 minutes frrm greystones to connolly. and its only every 30 minutes.

i'd say anywhere around killiey, dalkey, glasthule would be a much nicer option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

It takes nearly an hour for the dart to get to Connolly from Greystones.

Personally I would prefer to live in the Dun Laoghaire area. Greystones is a nice little town but for me it is a bit too far out from the city. You will have the Sea beside you no matter where you move and there would not be a huge difference time wise to drive up the mountains from Dun Laoghaire or Greystones. Greystones would be the cheaper option Rent wise but you would also pay more for transport although it wouldn't be a huge difference. If you chose Dun Laoghaire you would have an extra hour to spend with your family each day too. If money is an issue for you Greystones could be the better option but if you value your time and want to be within striking distance of the city Dun Laoghaire would be the better option.

I see you asked about schools in the Greystones post and mentioned that you are not particularly religious people. Educate together have 2 schools in the Dun Laoghaire area and also one in Greystones. They are not run by or connected to any church. They also seem to have smaller class sizes which would presumably result in more time been spent with each pupil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I live in Sandycove and although I really Luke Greystones, I wouldn't move for anything.

We have Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire and Glasthule on our doorstep with all they have to offer, easy access to the beach and promenade and Killiney hill just up the road. We spend a lot of time Goo.g through rock pools, exploring woods or skimming stones in the sea, yet we are 20 minutes from town. U can't imagine anywhere better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Greystones is lovely but the long commute will make you unhappy.

Advertisement