Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4yr old terrier started leaving "presents" at night

• 20-03-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi I saw a thread about this kind of thing a while ago but cant find it..

Anyways, I have a 4 year old male terrier mix dog, himself and our other dog sleep in the downstairs loo. Until last week we had no problems with soiling at all. They are usually fed twice a day, once in the morning after their walk, and then around tea-time.

But for the last 4 days he has started doing poos at night.

I was thinking of changing their feeding pattern so that they get fed once a day at about 3pm before my husband goes to work and leaving them out until I get home at 7pm to see if this works. Any hints or ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

first thing i would be doing is bringing the dog to vet for check up at vets. after 4 yrs of been toilet trained seems a bit strange if only started last week. has anything changed at all? like on their own more often, change in routine, new family member, dif brand of food, etc.
    i myself feed twice a day and perfer this to feeding once a day as i think 24 hrs between feeds is way to long. Is dog been put out before bed? could be a number of things but as i said my first port of call would be the vet

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I wont be able to bring him to the vets until Friday, as my hubby works evenings an i am not home from work until the vets closes...

We haven't changed his food at all. he's on burns dry food. And is usually let out after being fed and again before going to bed for the night.

I cant think of anything changing with his routine at all.. Perhaps he picked up something in he canal when he was out for his walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

just out of curiosity how do u know which dog it is? if ur hubby works eve can he not bring him during the day. if not i would be takin a hr of and bring him. the thing is if he has picking up something, which he prob hasnt, leaving him till friday is a bit to long to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

just out of curiosity how do u know which dog it is? if ur hubby works eve can he not bring him during the day. if not i would be takin a hr of and bring him. the thing is if he has picking up something, which he prob hasnt, leaving him till friday is a bit to long to wait

He's the bigger of the two so its obvious..
    The vets that we go to only sees small pets between 5 and 6:30 in the evenings. if its an emergency they sometimes see them during the day, but the vets are usually out on call to farms etc during the day. Anyways - my hubby was going to bring him during the day today.. and lo and behold we had a clean floor this morning...?

The only difference is that they didn't get their usual off lead run yesterday... and the pair of them spent the evening snuggled up beside the fire. I'll keep an eye on the situation and see if there are any changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Keep an eye on him, it could be he just had a bit of an upset, but I would try and feed him earlier in evenings as it will help.
    I feed at 5pm, walk at 7 then allow out before bed around 10-10.30pm.
    I know if I feed after 7pm I get a wake up call about 5am for a toilet break, but depends on your routine.
    Always leave a bit of time before walking after feeding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement