Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seo -link building

Options
  • 20-03-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

learning seo techniques atm can someone explain link building

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

Link Building is when another website has a link that points to your website...preferably without a no-follow tag. Google looks not only at your content but also at your popularity (e.g. how many sites have links pointed at your website) to rank where your website lands on a particular search result.

There is a lot to Link Building and an upfront warning...be careful of too much, or poor, link building. There are a lot of spam link building software and spam companies that do link building. These can actually hurt your page rank in Google's eyes. Your link building should be natural...and come based on your content/participation on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

This video gave me a better understanding of why it works. Love Matt Cutts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheLordMayor

Hi guys,

I have just made my first website and have started to SEO it. I have put the relevant keywords in but am struggling to build links into it from pages with a high page rank.

The video above was of some help, but I am finding it hard to get relevant links.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Here is the URL to the website:
    http://www.antoinetteheery.com

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Hey Lord Mayor, the website you have is very simple using mostly tables to display content. Although many say that tables arent that bad for SEO its recommended that you use CSS to style your content. Also link to an external CSS file to keep things quick and readable for spiders. If the site was build by yourself then fairplay, im sure you learned allot from the project. But what i would suggest is looking into more relevant ways to get your content looking nice and clean. The site you have could be rebuild by yourself in about a week maybe earlier depending on your skill level. If your up to speed then your could rebuild it within two days. I would start with these links to get going and then decide whether you think a rebuild is required.

http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/default.asp - Learn XHTML

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp - Learn CSS

You should also check out sites like lynda.com and learn from there. I signed up just for a month and went through various courses for XHTML, CSS and so on. It will give you a great foundation to build up from as well as showing you some great way to add a more dynamic look to your site. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

You should try and get as many backlinks to your site as possible, preferably from high PR sites.

Every site has a PR rating, 0-10. A new site is 0 and something like facebook is 10. Google takes links from higH PR sites more seriouslly.

You can use this free tool to generate 25 a day,

www.socialmonkee.com/index.php?af=11525

Some people say quantity is better than quality, some say the opposite. I think a healthy mix of the two.

You can also use a site like fiverr.com, lots of backlink services on there, offering backlinks from high authority sites, and .edu's.

A backlink from a .edu or .gov, is viewed very well by Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Be careful with the music. Took a few moments to find how to switch it off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LICS

Hi,
    Some interesting stuff here. SEO seems to be a bit of a 'black art' I'm always looking for ways to improve on sites I am developing.

My two cents
    Self reference - mention who you are or what you do in your content. For example rather than saying 'we provide' say 'Dublin City Golf Sales provide' but it is important to keep this readable.

Use Google maps and Google Analytics if you can. The maps are great for listing you business contact details, opening hours, services and catchment areas. Make sure you have a robots.txt file in your root directory.

Submit to online directories (start with the free listings). Keep track of which ones you have submitted to.

Meta tags. Keep descriptions relevant and concise (25-30 words tops) keep it brief by using chars like & instead of 'and'.
    Comma separate keywords, no more than 12 per page. If you have more than 12 and multiple pages - use the extra keywords on the other pages.

Think like a net user. What would I type in to find my business.
    Do your customers speak the same lingo? By that I mean will they use the same technical terms as you?

image descriptions and names. reference yourself. If you have a button for "home" call it mysite_home alt="back to www.mysite.com" You will see elements of your site in google image search.

Social media. If you have facebook/twitter/blog/linkedIn add links to them.

Ask for reciprocal links where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Great tips thanks so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

SEO is soooooooooooooo complicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

LICS wrote: »
    Hi,
    Some interesting stuff here. SEO seems to be a bit of a 'black art' I'm always looking for ways to improve on sites I am developing.

Na, not really! I've been doing it for a long time - 10 years or so. People just keep looking for checklist-style-SEO - rather than understanding it as a system.
    My two cents
    Self reference - mention who you are or what you do in your content. For example rather than saying 'we provide' say 'Dublin City Golf Sales provide' but it is important to keep this readable.

Use Google maps and Google Analytics if you can. The maps are great for listing you business contact details, opening hours, services and catchment areas. Make sure you have a robots.txt file in your root directory.

Good advice but important to note that Robots.txt doesn't help with SEO, it just helps you guide Bots away from content you don't want to have indexed.
    Submit to online directories (start with the free listings). Keep track of which ones you have submitted to.

Likely to be low in link value away from the home page
    Meta tags. Keep descriptions relevant and concise (25-30 words tops) keep it brief by using chars like & instead of 'and'.
    Comma separate keywords, no more than 12 per page. If you have more than 12 and multiple pages - use the extra keywords on the other pages.

This part is a little dangerous. Keywords Meta-tag Bing accepts no more than 2 and Google doesn't read any...

Description tags need to be written for users, not Google again it doesn't read them, it just uses them for the snipprt. If you think that "Professional writing & typewriting services" looks spammy or unprofessional, then use "and" where appropriate.

Social media. If you have facebook/twitter/blog/linkedIn add links to them.

Ask for reciprocal links where possible.

I think hope you meant don't ask for reciprocal links where avoidable / at all times. And most social media sites have a "nofollow" on all links to stop linkbuilding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mocha

Submit articles to social networking sites such as DIGG and Delicious with links back to your site. You can also submit articles to articles such as Go articles, ezinearticle and isnare with backlinks to your site.

@steve_

Thanks a million for all of that info. I'm going to be designing a website in a couple of months so I will read up before I do. What are your thoughts on flash for SEO? I know it is very difficult to embed keywords into flash, but if you only used a flash banner would that have a huge effect? Also, when linking to other websites - would you recommend nofollow links?

@ bacon?

That site looks great as I just changed domain to .ie so I need as many backlinks as possible. However I can't seem to get it working, it just freezes. Has anyone else had better luck?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 study68

seo is surely complicated but I think good news it that there are loads of information available on SEO and if we do follow those suggestions every day, thw site will improve raking for sure.. Thanks Steve for the video link.. Matt from google.. (nice, very informative video)

Paul
    Website Design Ireland

Thanks for all of the tips, http://www.antoinetteheery.ie is now listed in Google :D

I got the site listed in two hours by following a few steps from this forum:
    http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-ppc-seo-discussion-forum/357714-how-get-your-site-indexed-google-within-24-hours.html

The tips are for a wordpress blog but can be used on any website. They'll get your site indexed really quickly if u want any changes you've made to be updated.

But to move up the rankings you'll have to use some white hat SEO as well..

Advertisement