Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living in Australia

Options
  • 20-03-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Im considering moving to Australia towards the end of the summer and as such have been monitoring job sites for mechanical engineering positions. What would be considered poor pay, average pay and good pay for a mechanical engineer in Australia in todays market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bake69

To answer your question better you will need to supply more ifnformation.

What type of visa you are going on? i.e working holiday, or skilled migrant visa, regional etc.

Also, you say mechanical engineering.... what experiance you have will impact what jobs are available to you.

Sorry i know you may already be aware of all this but it is not clear from your question.

Working holiday visa you will pay higher tax rate, this will also make good companies wary of investing time on you, as you may leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I've worked in Australia a few times for short periods (1-3 months) over the past few years, and have found the cost of living has gone up a bit recently. But still less than Ireland (which wouldn't be too hard).

In terms of wages etc, I've no experience with Mechanical Engineering, but from IT side of things the wages in Australia are quite competitve. The pay is generally quite good (comparable with Ireland anyway).

If you are looking to live in one of the big cities, and the rate of pay is much less, you may find yourself not as well off as you might be in similar employment in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Id be interested in a working holiday visa. I have 12 years experience in automated assembly in electronic manufacture and 3 electro-mechanical product design experience.

Advertisement