Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

things can only get better ?

• 20-03-2011 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

right so ive seen other board users mock results and am amazed :O we have very smart users on this:D unfortunely my result are not the same ....

english (H) 50 D1
    irish (o) 28 E ( irish teacher told me noone fails pass :P)
    maths (O) ( 19) f (EXTREMELY WORRIED that ill fail THIS SUBJECT in the leaving ! haven't passed a test since 2nd year )
    french ( h) 45 d2 ( enjoy french. listening brought me way down )
    business (h) 24 F ( find it hard to study from the book )
    economics (H) 34 e ( like it same excuse as business)
    home economics (h) 55 c3
    lcvp ( c) 84

grand total of 235 points :( i need 400 :( you might think im stupid but im relatively intelligent i just did no or very little study for the mocks but i thought i might of been able to a least pass al the papers. what i really want is some advice . what do i do from here ? write out notes ? do exam papers ? i know the leaving cert is in my hands but i think my results are a result of lack of confidence , crap teachers , lack of motivation, lack of encouragement from parents laziness etc . all my teachers want me to move to a pass class but i really want to achieve honours in my leaving cert .im just confused and angry at my self at this stage . would really appreciate your help and advice expecially regarding the subjects i failed .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't take boards users as any sort of 'average'. Look at the amount that seem to be attending the Institute rather than a school. There's also a fair amount of bull poo being posted as people's results. However, I'm wondering why you chose (or your school let you choose) such book-based subjects when you clearly do not learn in a style that would make you suited to them.

Stop blaming your teachers and everyone else. Go round each of them and ask them what you need to do and then do it. If you blame them for your lack of success have you been doing what they have asked you all along?

Writing out notes could help if they are your own notes. Writing out or using someone else's notes is a waste of time - it's like using someone else's mindmap - ridiculous.

Get to know the layout and structure of each paper. For Maths, concentrate on a few areas that you know will come up, rather than trying to be in a position to attempt all questions.

You have to learn to be honest with yourself though. If you have not passed a Maths exam since 2nd year, maybe you are just not able for this level and maybe your teachers are right to want you to move level. Wanting something very much is not enough to make it happen.

You might consider repeating with a full year of a new attitude. I hope it works out for you. There is still time.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

You have admitted yourself that you didn't study. Then you blamed parents and teachers. Be real with yourself, only you can get yourself through this. Teachers will advise you on how to best spend your time, and revise topics with a focus on answering in the exam. They cannot make you care, cannot make you listen attentively in class, cannot make you spend the hours you need to on homework and study. Neither can your parents.

Right, sorry about the lecture, but anyway...
    If you're gonna pull the grades up, the next three months are gonna suck. but hey, then you'll have a nice summer without so much worry and stress. If you find book study difficult, try watching some vids, youtube tutorials and the GCSE bitesize videos are good. Make your own notes as you're watching. Be careful though, as a lot of the material you find online might not be on the LC curriculum. Just check in with your textbook to see if the contents of the videos are in there.

AS for the maths, I dunno mate. Did you fail OL Junior Cert maths? If so, I'd be very skeptical about doing it for LC. But before you change, see how it will affect your college course. Most of them won't accept Foundation Maths. You may have to have a backup college course that will accept Foundation maths just in case.

Anyway, best of luck with everything. Remember, as spurious said, you could always repeat. With a more motivated approach, you will do yourself more justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Firstly, how do you know half of what you read here is the truth?
    Secondly, study more. End of. You will get what you deserve if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peterjohn123

thanks guys . i guess it is all just boiling down to study so ...yay :o as for maths i think i'll give grinds a go .i wasnt that bad a maths in the jc ..got a c grade so must of understood some of it at least . really really do not want to repeat ... I don't want to be 20 starting college and I now there are people 50 + starting college but I think if I don't go to college in September ill never go !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

right so ive seen other board users mock results and am amazed :O we have very smart users on this:D unfortunely my result are not the same ....

I thought of this thread when you mentioned the above. Take every posted result with a grain of salt.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67707754

• Advertisement
Advertisement