Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble with internet browsers

• 20-03-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭

i have a laptop off my sister, i have put on and run malwarebyte, avast and spyware search and destroy. there were alot of malware, but now removed.

the problem is that any of googlecrome, firefox or internet explorer are opening gmail or google. all other websites seem to be working. google is working fine on my own laptop. i was even unable to ping google, it just timed out.

a strange problem. any idea. do not want to give it back to her without google working, she would be lost :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

2smiggy wrote: »
    i have a laptop off my sister, i have put on and run malwarebyte, avast and spyware search and destroy. there were alot of malware, but now removed.

the problem is that any of googlecrome, firefox or internet explorer are opening gmail or google. all other websites seem to be working. google is working fine on my own laptop. i was even unable to ping google, it just timed out.

a strange problem. any idea. do not want to give it back to her without google working, she would be lost :)

Cleared browser cache and checked?
    There's no proxy set is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

sorry , was gone for the dinner :)

no proxy, just connected to eirom router,
    i cleared the cache , but made no difference. odd that it only sems to be google related sites it cannot connect to in any of the browers

It could be more spyware.

Download ccleaner
    www.ccleaner.com

And tell me under tools, startup,
    whats listed

photo12.jpg

i think i know what is wrong,

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

the hosts file is hidden , (i though missing first) i tried replacing it with the hosts file from my laptop, the hidden one was much bigger leading me to believe that alot has been added to it. access was denied. i tried replacing it through cmd in safe mode etc, but no luck so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Only1Rovers

So I think I've been hood-winked into switching from Chrome to the shiny new FireFox4... Generally I was/I am, a fan of Chrome, apart from it crashing occasionally... but the idea of a faster browser (as advertised by Firefox) hooked me.

So far so good, FireFox4 does seem to be the faster of the two browsers, however, it doesn't seem to handle .pdf files in the browser???

As an MA student, I go through tons of academician papers and essays in .pdf format. Every time I try to open a .pdf in Firefox it returns a blank screen.

Frustrating... is there a setting I can change or is Firefox - fire fraud?

2smiggy wrote: »
    i think i know what is wrong,

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

the hosts file is hidden , (i though missing first) i tried replacing it with the hosts file from my laptop, the hidden one was much bigger leading me to believe that alot has been added to it. access was denied. i tried replacing it through cmd in safe mode etc, but no luck so far.

You're running 2 anti viruses. Avast and microsoft security essentials. Uninstall one and test again

So I think I've been hood-winked into switching from Chrome to the shiny new FireFox4... Generally I was/I am, a fan of Chrome, apart from it crashing occasionally... but the idea of a faster browser (as advertised by Firefox) hooked me.

So far so good, FireFox4 does seem to be the faster of the two browsers, however, it doesn't seem to handle .pdf files in the browser???

As an MA student, I go through tons of academician papers and essays in .pdf format. Every time I try to open a .pdf in Firefox it returns a blank screen.

What program do you use to open pdf's?
    Options are to use this add-on:
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/

or go to firefox options, click applications and under pdf choose the option thats suits you most

Install Adobe Reader I have no problem.

Also its not a good idea hi-jacking another posters thread ;)

Install Adobe Reader I have no problem.

Also its not a good idea hi-jacking another posters thread ;)

I think adobe reader is way too bloated. I'd recommend pdf x change viewer
    http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
    Although there's others such as foxit pdf reader or sumatra pdf reader I just prefer pdf xchange viewer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement