Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies getting into the attic

Options
  • 20-03-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi, wasnt sure if this was the right section to put this.

As the title says I have a problem with pesky flies getting into the attic of our house. And I aint talking about the odd few, there are a few 100 dead up there when I go to hoover them every few days along with about another 100 live ones buzzing about.
    The house itself is about 4 yrs old and I think that maybe they are getting in through the vent in the guttering.
    We have a conservatory on the side of the house and the flies are able to come down into this from the attic so I think that this isnt insulated properly (when its a cold day, the conservatory is unbearable)

Any ideas on how this can be rectified because to be honest I think the work was done shoddy cause this shouldnt be happening, any advice appreciated.
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Theres definitely something dead or rotting up there for there to be that many flies every few days. That attic needs to be expunged top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

get one of those bug bombs. we had the exact same problem, just light the canister and walk away and its bye bye flies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

madcabbage wrote: »
    get one of those bug bombs. we had the exact same problem, just light the canister and walk away and its bye bye flies :D

Would there be a risk that the attic insulation would catch fire? I reckon its not so healthy to hang about and keep an eye on it.

dayshah wrote: »
    Would there be a risk that the attic insulation would catch fire? I reckon its not so healthy to hang about and keep an eye on it.

We put a metal plate around the canister so the attic wouldnt go up. Light em and come back in a day when the place gets vented out and its a fly cemetary! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Have same problem. Its cluster flies not normal house fly. They are alot slower and mainly fly around windows. Head is wrecked with them as they can get into attic through vents in fascia. Nothing to do with anythiing dead in attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

If you have a socket up there you could plug in one of those pest control plugs, you know the ones that are supposed to deter mice, spiders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Thanks very much for the replies. I think that the flies are coming through the fascia. It is the only possible way that they can get in.
    They all seem to flock to the velux windows in the attic and all the dead ones are located underneath it. I noticed that when I open those windows you can see a couple of flies coming out of the actual velux window frame so I think that the house may not have been insulated / sealed correctly cause cant understand how they are getting from the gutters into the attic..... :confused:

valpuk wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the replies. I think that the flies are coming through the fascia. It is the only possible way that they can get in.
    They all seem to flock to the velux windows in the attic and all the dead ones are located underneath it. I noticed that when I open those windows you can see a couple of flies coming out of the actual velux window frame so I think that the house may not have been insulated / sealed correctly cause cant understand how they are getting from the gutters into the attic..... :confused:

It was the same in our house,if it bothers ya that much why dont you call in someone to look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi OP,
    I have similar problem but they seemed to nest in the outside of my wooden teak window frame. Freaky to see so many of them.
    My solution to the ones that came inside was to get the paper and go on a rambo killing spree. Only bad thing about that is it can leave marks on the wall or where ever you kill them.

As jarjohn mentioned previously i think it is the cluster fly.
    If there was a dead animal in your attic you would more than likely smell it.

Here is a few links that might help you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056061512

http://www.rentokil.ie/residential-customers/flying-insects/flies-and-mosquitoes/index.html

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/cluster.htm

- BFG

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Tryin to avoid expenditure if I can do it myself, thats why I am getting advice from here first.
    Hopefully I can do it myself, bloody nightmare so they are....

• Advertisement
Advertisement