Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Home Network Speeds (help)

Options
  • 20-03-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

On my home network I have a standard vodafone wireless router. I have desktop#1 connected with a cat5 patch cable. I have desktop#2 connected via wireless.

When I copy something from desktop#2 to desktop#1 I get speeds of 200KB/s . When I copy something from desktop#1 to desktop#2 speeds are about 1.6MB/s. (I know the 'b's and the 'B's)

It seems the the download speeds of wireless are much faster. Are these speeds normal or should I be getting faster? 200 KB/s is slower than my internet speed so its very unsatisafactory. Should I think about installing a gigabit network for maximum speeds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

did u try a new patch cable? a bad patch cable will yield crappy speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

I only have 2 patch cat5 cables and no difference in speeds. Do you think 200 KB/s is a bit low for wireless g?

Advertisement