Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to PC Building

Options
  • 20-03-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been lurking awhile just reading posts but wasnt until i tried registering that i was already a member :)

Time for a new PC for myself, I wanted to build my own, or at least try.

My budget is about €600 - 700. And i would be starting from scratch, OS wont be a problem though. I have 2 cases but they would be both run of the mill cases, and i could imagine alot of heat issues regardless of how powerful the system is.

Ive never built a PC from scratch so it be a challenge, but i know if i have any questions then they can be answered on here.

Basically i want a good system for gaming mostly, and photoshop, preferrably with HDMI output.

My own system isnt capable of running football manager with more then 3 leagues on large database.. So that shows how bad it must be!

Id like to be able to add to the system furthermore if i get the cash.

Can anyone help me out or recommend what kind of setup they would go for?

Thanks
    Scott

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Assuming from the above that you do not want an OS, this is a nice standard Sandybridge build that will perform well in gaming, PS and has a HDMI output.

hwvs2500k6870.png

If you've got a decent sata HDD and DVD drive in your existing PC you could reuse them, and save about €60.

That motherboard will allow expansion to crossfire 2 6870s, but if you plan to do something like that in the future, I'd recommend that you get a better PSU now to ensure you have enough juice to power them. Otherwise you'll be in the situation of having one good 550W PSU and having to buy another more powerful one anyway.

Also if you think you'll be playing games that are not very demanding on the GPU, you could go with a cheaper graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Thanks for your help, appreciate it .

Is there anything on that spec that you would change for that would make a good difference or would be a help in the future, for a few more €€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

i would improve the case and get rid of the slipstream fan and include a cpu cooler thats about it, the psu and all is fine i'll post my recommendations aibt later =]

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Thermaltake v3/v4 are as good as the other sub €40 budget cases, and have a bottom mounted PSU. The Scythe Fans were for front and top cooling as nearly all of those cheap cases come with just one rear mounted fan, if any.

If you can put an extra few quid into it, I'd recommend something like the CoolerMaster 690 II, or Lancool K58 for cases, they'll have a better build quality all round. (~€15 extra compared to the v3 + case fans).

For the PSU, swap in the Thermaltake Modular 775W PSU I mentioned before will give ample room for a 6870 crossfire setup and CPU overclocking, and allow for better cable management. (~€45 extra compared to the 550w)

Also as Metalhead mentioned, if you're planning on overclocking pick up a third party cooler for the CPU like the Freezer 7 Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

looks like i won't need to post any recommendations seems like seyem is on top of things :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement