Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You tube! Friend or Foe?

• 20-03-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,

While doing some looking around on youtube one night I found a video of myself competing in an International Competition in the forms division.
    I got a bit of a surprise as I did not know I was being videoed and I certainly did not give anyone permission or was asked permission to post this up.
    Now the thing is I have nothing to hide and if this person told me they had taped me competing and asked me was it ok to post it up I would probably have said yes. What annoyed me was they just stuck it up and I feel like my privacy was invaded. I have no idea who this person is either as they use a sudoname on youtube.
    Was wondering how many people out there would be miffed in the same situation or think I'm over reacting and that is part of the modern times we live in and when you are in the public eye like that it's goes along with the territory?
    The video has since been taken down but it was up there for a good 6 months. This person has also taken down other videos thay had up of people competing, I'm guessing without permission either!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You don't need someones permission to stick a video up. If that were the case you'd need to get permission off people in the background too. :)

Wouldn't bother me personally but different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭BridgestoneThai

Of course it wouldnt bother you Khannie, as who the hell would take a video of you anyways:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

If it's a public event then it's fair game really. Same thing as someone standing at the side of the ring/mat and watching you fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭The Shane

You performed in this competition in a public place in full view of the public?

Some dude recorded it, presumably not because he's stalking you and has an altar dedicated to you, then put it up on youtube. I can't imagine he's profiting from it and I doubt the views are that high.

All in all, you're overreacting.

As for the pseudonym - hardly uncommon on the internet.

Did you ask him to take it down? If you did and he subsequently did without being in any way legally or morally required to I'd say he sounds like a top bloke.

Shane, The

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

If I'm winning in the video, it's a friend and If I'm losing, it's a foe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I post lots of video's like this on youtube. I use discretion as any injury, no contest or similar is not posted. Also if a fighter involved ask's me to take the video down I will. There is not a really available list of fighters name's versus email addresses. It hard enough editing the video to begin with but on request if you are one of the fighters most people will take it down if you are not happy with it. I have a few times no questions asked. Its hard enough getting the names and clubs the fighters are from correct no mind their permission but I see your point also but its a public show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I have some friends in another country who have recently gone pro as mma fighters, and they have gone to great lengths to ensure that there are no youtube records of their fights. they do this so that their next opponents, have as little as possible information on the opponent they are facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

i imagine it falls under the same laws as photos, that is if your in a public place your outta luck, youve no say, for instance your walking down the street i blantly jump in front of you and take a photo of you, sorry bud nothing you can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

dunkamania wrote: »
    I have some friends in another country who have recently gone pro as mma fighters, and they have gone to great lengths to ensure that there are no youtube records of their fights. they do this so that their next opponents, have as little as possible information on the opponent they are facing.
    Thats understandable, but an international forms competition where everyone knows the same forms is hardly going to stop him winning now is it?

dunkamania wrote: »

Good thing no one films pro mma fighters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Darren Mahony

I guess I'm a bit more of a private person then most then. If I was to video someone competing, which I think is a bit of a weird thing to do in first place; just video some random parson that you don't know, and I enjoyed what that person did and felt I would like to share the video by posting it on line; then I would ask them if it was ok but hey, thats just me.

Regards
    Darren

I guess I'm a bit more of a private person then most then. If I was to video someone competing, which I think is a bit of a weird thing to do in first place; just video some random parson that you don't know, and I enjoyed what that person did and felt I would like to share the video by posting it on line; then I would ask them if it was ok but hey, thats just me.

Regards
    Darren

Only film people I know from the club, no interest in fights from other clubs only if it was like a very high level fight. I think filming someone else's forms/ patterns\kata's etc and putting them on youtube would be weird if I didn't ask them. But I film a fight where I known one of the fighters as he wold be from my club. The other club would film them also as the fighter can learn from the video afterwards win or lose. Someone posting your patterns on the web is strange tbh. congrats on your 4th dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

guys the law and ho it stands at present is that if you are in a public place and you image is captured and reproduced without reward ( financial or otherwise ) you have nothing to recoup . if financial reward is recieved they must get your permission or at least go to lenghts to obtain your permission .

now to put it in context . i am a member of the emergancy services and regularly come into contact with members of the public videoing us cuting people from cars and at fires . also to the extent that at a scene i have been asked to move so they could get a better shot .

i am also aware of of situations where in the course of my work i have been posted on youtube . and in the case of my fighting carrear there are a few of my fights on youtube .

just aswell there are no photos of me doing forms or katas . as im deffo not the mustard for reproduction there :D

Advertisement