Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Gas - Pay As You Go. Query!

Options
  • 20-03-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong section of the forum and but I wasn't sure where else to put this. Please redirect me if it is wrong.

I've just moved house a few weeks ago and the house has Phoenix Gas (the pay as you go top-up system). I've only ever had oil before so not entirely sure how much Phoenix Gas costs and how often I'll need to top-up.

Anyway, I put £40 on a top-up card on the first day we moved in and exactly 3 weeks later it's run out and I've to top-up again.

My question is, to anyone who uses this same system.... is this normal or does it seem too much to spend for the length of time that we got?

We have had our heating on for about 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours at lunch time and about 3 hours in the evening which is 7 hours a day (or 49 hours per week). It's lasted 3 weeks.

Cheers to anyone who can help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

First off- I've never heard of Phoenix gas before in my life.
    EUR40 for 3 weeks reasonable usage of gas seems to me to be remarkable value- in short- you've the gas running for about 6 hours a day.

You'd really need to know a lot about the heating system, the BER for the property, whether the heating was actually running for those 6 hours (normally it will kick in once the thermostat is below a certain level and cutout again when it rises)- along with the an indication of how warm you're keeping the property- versus the prevailing outside temperature- to be in a position to figure whether its good value or not.

EUR40 for 3 weeks- probably isn't spectacular value, but doesn't seem to be too bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Phoenix Natural Gas is a Northern Ireland service. OP is also quoting currency as pounds. I suggest either the OP try one of the regional forums or a Northern Ireland version of boards (if one exists) as most of the regulars around here seem to be southern focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Currently renting and have a Board Gais pay as you go card. I find the gas expensive and find myself topping up constantly. €100 would last about three weeks and that is in March. Had mains gas in previous house and found it much cheaper. The reason it is so expensive I reckon is that you are not paying a supply charge so that must be included in the cost of the units on the pay as you use system.

Advertisement